Pool noodles - for jugs?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fat_fish55, May 20, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    wonderin how big a fish youv cought on them?
    seems to me that a big fish would swim away and down without even knowin the jug was there cuz they are so small
    also even if a big fish got tired would the jug be enough to come to surface?

2. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've caught fish up to 25 lbs. on pool noodles cut to about 20 inches in length. A fish that size will take it down put typically have to come back up with it within 150 feet or so. If you're fishing after dark, you do stand a chance of losing track of it. The one reason I don't like pool noodles is that they are very susceptible to wind. I drift jugs in river current and 1-quart motor oil jugs sit low in water and aren't affected by wind much. If I've got wind however, pool noodles will scatter here and yon.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I prefer to use 2-liter soda jugs because they're a bit larger and thus easier to see from a long distance. It's rare for a cat to hold down one of these soda jugs for more than a few seconds, but it's happened with both large and small cats. I've heard of a cat pulling a gallon jug under for so long that the jug was lost, but didn't see it myself. The fact that a 65# blue could take a jug under and hold it for a considerable time really didn't surprise me (excited the 'bleep' out of me though); but having a 5# blue cat hit a jug so hard it splashed water all over people in a nearby boat, then carry the jug underwater for half a quarter mile back into a cove absolutely floored me.

4. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Mr. Simmms, Reading your post, I see you use oil quarts for wind resistence.
    Being a carpenter we will (sometimes) use a 1x 4 board say twenty inches painted to waterproof. A hole drilled in the end for the drop and or tag line.
    The board lays flat enough and will flag real good. Painted white and you can write your info right on the board. Fix them up to reflect at night. You can pack a lot of them in a bucket on end.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's an example of how hard a jug can be to see at a distance, and shows just why high visibility can be important.

Attached Files:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Neat trick, jtrew. Took a picture of water and just told us there were jugs on it, knowing we would strain our eyes to see the jugs. LOL. I had my jugs made up with swimming pool noodles. Tried the Green, Blue, Red and Yellow noodles. The only ones that could be seen at a distance was the yellow, and it was so poorly visible I changed all my jugs to 3" PVC pipe. It's white and easy to see. LOL. Tried to get white noodles but couldn't find them. Tried to bleach the other colors and that didn't work either. So now I have these jugs which cost me between 4 and 5 dollars each...really gonna be mad when I loose them. Thats life.

7. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
  8. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I've caught fish up to about 25# on pool noodles cut to 18". They'll pull it down but they can't keep it down.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Naw, naw, naw, I wouldn't do that. On the bridge, count over 8 openings from the left, then look about 1/4" below the bridge. Kind of to the left of the center of the 8th opening. There's a white dot there; that's the jug.

10. Rebelchevy

Rebelchevy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    well i have been using noodles for a while now and i havent lost any and i fish at night so i think that they are a good investment

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As long as you are using them in a more or less contained area, such as a cove, backwater, oxbow or something along that line, the noodles should work just fine. I've used quart Penzoil jugs jugging for crappie. All I'm saying is that if you're going to be looking for a jug that's half a mile away, a larger diameter jug is more visible.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Boy, as bad as my eyes are getting, I'm going to have to use jugs like they did on "JAWS". I may be able to see them. LOL

13. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will add this: When you make your noodles be sure to make them unique or they will end up in someone else's boat by mistake. When I started using them about 5 years ago there weren't a lot of them to deal with. Now when I am out at night looking for them I might end up on someone elses jug.

Last weekend mine got mixed in with about 50 of the same color. I was worried the owner of the others was going to think I was stealing his but I never saw him. I have orange with yellow florescent tape and glitter but I still had a hard time in the dark since I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

Use a color other than orange because there are a lot of them out there. I might try painting a few to see how they work. I bet it is a nightmare with the white jug laws. Good luck.