Pool Noodle Floats-Cheap

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by D_Weezy, Apr 2, 2008.

1. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I built some floats from pool noodles. I attached a large swivel to a small I-screw. I cut a 4" length piece from a 3/4" diameter dowel rod. Then I drilled a small hole in the center of the end, of the dowel rod. I put a drop of glue on the end of the I-screw and screwed it into the piece of dowel rod. I cut a 4" piece of pool noodle. Then I put glue around the dowel rod about 3/4" down from the top end, all the way around it. I pushed the dowel rod into the pool noodle, until it was in all of the way. The glue gets spread all through the pool noodle and sticks very well. I need to paint the ends of the dowel rod, to seal them. I put it on one of my catfish rods, with a 3 ounce egg sinker and it worked great. I was shocked at how far it cast. There was at least half of it sticking out of the water, even with a 3 ounce sinker.

Attached Files:

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Finished photos.

Attached Files:

3. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Thanks for the idea going to give it a try.

4. chris dornbusch

chris dornbusch New Member

State:
    iowa
    I like it..............

5. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Your profile is set to private. It will not let me reply to your message. Here is the answer to your question.
    It is a wooden dowel rod. You can buy them at any hardware store. The glue also comes from the hardware store. Any waterproof glue will work. Paint the ends of the dowel rod when you are done, to waterproof them.

D_Weezy

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thank you for this great idea. i will be trying it. i think i will use pvc pipe with caps on it instead of wood dowel rod. i think i will also put mu weight inside the pvc pipe to make it a weighted casting float. again thanks for the idea.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing a great idea.

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Great Idea, PVC is also a great idea, thanks for sharing. If you plan to paint it, make sure you use a waterproof paint. Latex isn't waterproof. That glue smeared on the ends would probably do better.

9. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    slabmaster,

I thought about using pvc caps and pipe, but I did not think of adding weight to it. Thanks for the addition to this project. That is a great idea.:wink:

10. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I made some last year with PVC Worked great. I noticed at walmart over the weekend that the pool noodles they have this year have lot smaller hole in the center, Might be a problem.

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    anybody else think it's funny that grown men hang out in the toy section at wally world scheming on the pool noodles?

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dale i think i am gonna drop my weight inside the pvc toward the bottom of the float then shoot a blob of silicone in there and let it dry before i cap the top end of the pipe. this will keep the weight from shifting and end up makeing the float doing something i don't want it to do . again thanks for the idea.

13. redneckradtech

redneckradtech New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Watch Wally World at end of summer sales, get em real cheap then.

14. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks daniel and welcome to the BOC

15. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wait a minute you want the weght to shift inside the PVC pipe, that way you have a strike indicator built in. You can sit back in your boat and look at all your jugs and know immediately which ones have had a hit or have a fish on. I use a 12" piece of 3/8ths rebar for my weight. The fish hits and the noodle stands up or cocked at a 45 deg angle. Saves time running all of your jugs when all you have to do is go to the ones with the fish on.

catman george

16. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    George i agree with your method for jug lineing but what dale has come up with is a casting cork. if i get the bite i am looking for there won't be anything to see but a bowed over surf rod.

17. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    That's what I am talking about. All I want to see is that bowed rod. Again, great idea on the weight. I got to go build one and try it out.:smile2:

18. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks for the great idea!! My husband and I made a couple tonight with the PVC. Couldn't get to the pond to test it, so we improvised with the kitchen sink. We decided that we will put some sinkers in the next one. It needs a little weight to get it to sit up straight. But what an awesome idea!! Being made out of the PVC they should last a long time. I usually use the Little Joe pole floats or the big white ones from Wally World (don't remember the brand name). It can get pretty expensive. Thanks so much again for a great idea!! Reps to you!:big_smile:
    Deb

19. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Deb,

I caught a 12.25lb channel catfish (the slate blue male second from the left) on one of my floats. You should have seen that thing going across the water, before it went under. It worked great. Making them yourself is way cheaper. Large floats are expensive to buy. Make them yourself and save the money for Gasoline. :wink:

No catfish were hurt, in the taking of this photo. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

20. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Great idea, wrap some cord around it and tie on a good sized tire weight and you would have a good marker buoy to mark a hot spot when drift fishing...