Pool noodle bobber

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by CatBobJimFish, Jun 10, 2009.

1. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ok, I've decided to give these a try, went out and got the pool noodle and the glue tonight.

Would I be safe using my bandsaw to cut up the pool noodle? Or am I gonna have large chunks of foam getting sucked down into the blade, possibly causing it to jam, come off track, or maybe even snap???
    What do you guys use to get an even cut??? a big serrated knife maybe???

One other question. All the glues that I seen at walmart that seemed like they might work(strong hold, waterproof, etc.), said on the label that they were safe for most plastics and foam, but not safe for polypropylenes and polyethelenes..... am I going to be ok using this stuff on the pool noodle material??? The glue I picked up is a generic version of gorrilla glue.

2. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cut mine with a 8" fillet knife and a small miter-box. Im not too sure about the glue you chose, but it should be fine. I think the band saw will tear the soft foam material, or cut it crooked because of the squish it will put on it. Give it a shot on a small piece. Good luck with the project!

3. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks Josh, yeah tearing out is another thing I wanna avoid, I know before anytime i've tried to cut any type of foam on my bandsaw, chunks would get ripped off and sucked down into the blade.... next thing you hear is a loud pop as it gets pulled between the blade and the wheel.

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey Larry i took a seraded knife to mine then i just took some cigar bobbers{the big ones} and pushed it through the noodle hole. all ready for a bobber stop. no glue no mess, quick and easy. works great.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think a good sharp knife would be a much better choice of tool for the purpose. I used a can with both ends cut out that the noodle would slide through to manage the straight cut.:wink: Plumber Goop is the glue I used, picked it up at Lowe's. I figure about any glue would work as long as it is water proof.

6. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I USED MY RAD. ARM SAW ,NO PROBLEM..
    BAND SAW SHOULD BE ALRIGHT..

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I used a regular chop saw with a metal cutting blade in it. Cut it like butter leaving a square cut with no tear-out. I used 3M spray adhesive in a can, I think it is #77 or something. I was making jugs and gluing the noodle to PVC, worked great and did not harm the noodle foam at all.

8. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Larry i just used a knife. As for glue i used Gorilla Glue and it worked great. I had Griz from Kentucky show me how he does his and it was less work. Same idea as the other guy mentioned. Use a slide bobber, cut foam to length of bobber, slide bobber into it and go fish. If bobber is a little loose he would just add a little elec. tape to each end to tighten it up some. One thing to keep in mind is when you are applying the plastic cap have a small hole drilled into the top to allow a skinny glow stick to enter into the foam area. I didnt do that when i made some and when griz gave me some sticks to use i had to stick them thru the side.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use any saw that happens to be at arms length. Works great. I also make about 12 at a time and I use the foam expanding sealer called great stuff. Fills up the hole and can be trimmed off once it cures. No need for tops or caps....just stick in a glow stick and ready to fish.:big_smile:

10. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks for all the tips guys, I cut me off a few bobbers last night with a knife, cut out a few spraycan lids and glued em up.... seems like it's gonna hold just fine.

11. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    chew cans also work for the top and bottom of the floats is what i did if ya aint got bucket lids and spay can lids around just make sure there the plastic chew cans and mot the cardboard and metal lids :smile2:

12. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    great idea man, might have to try that one. sonds a lot easier that way! shane

13. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    hey i have a bunch of cans for ya bro. saving em till we get fishin together again.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  15. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Those there look like some quality products, mine pretty much have big globs of glue hangin' off em..... dunno why but I always seem to make an unholy mess when I glue something.:eek:oooh:

16. tma

tma New Member

State:
    nebraska
    it shood work try it c what happens

17. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
  18. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

This sounds like an interesting idea, I looked up that "Great Stuff foam sealer" and it's not all that expensive, which one do you use, the regular stuff or the "widegap formula"??? How many bobbers can you get out of each can??? I'm definatly gonna look around for this stuff and see if I can get it locally.

19. all_4_Flatcats

all_4_Flatcats New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    How do you guys rig these up? Same as a Slip Float or what?

20. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Yep just like a slip float.... though I'm sure they can be built to rig up any way you choose.