Pool 7, near Palarm

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by geojag, Apr 7, 2008.

1. geojag

geojag New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I set out some lines this past weekend on the Arkansas River near Palarm and did pretty well on blue cats. Had a hard time finding shad so mostly used worms for bait. I caught a few blues arround 10#, a few in the 6-8# range, and many in the 3-5# range. I only put out 3 twenty hook lines because the flow was so high but came out with better than 35# of fillets. All the lines were run off the points of partially submerged wing-dikes where there was a good velocity break.

geojag

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you had a good time congrats on your catches

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    How long did you have your lines out? Sounds like I need to put out some lines, but I really don't like to trotline alone, so I mostly jugfish when I'm after fish for the freezer. Trouble is, you can't jug the river when it's this high or you'll end up losing all your jugs on the submerged dikes.

4. geojag

geojag New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We set the lines out Saturday morning and had nothing Saturday evening. Sunday morning we had quite a few, and then almost as many again by Sunday evening when we took the lines in. I think Saturday the fish hadn't quite warmed up from the cold snap on Thursday/Friday. It certainly would be interesting chasing jugs with the river up like it is.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Interesting isn't the word for it; plumb dangerous is more like it. When the water flows over the dikes, it speeds up, seeming to suck the jugs in from unlikely distances. Of course, the jugs always hang up on the dikes. And trying to retrieve them just isn't worth the risk. I'll accept losing a jug or two occasionally as part of jugfishing, especially when a barge comes right through my setup, but I don't like leaving a bunch out on the water as trash. So, jugfishing on the river is out till the water gets down to a reasonable level. Maybe on some of the backwaters would work ok.

6. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Jonathan
    Did you fish any behind Beaverdam Island? Its just about 4 miles up from Palarm I beleive. I fished the chute behind it last year when the river was up a did pretty good pole fishing. The water was up enough to go over all the dikes back there but the current wasnt so severe as on the main river.

7. geojag

geojag New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We did fish the chute behind Beaverdam Island. The wing dikes were all under water. We anchored one line to what was exposed at the very end of the wing dike and ran the line along a velocity break downstream. This was a good set.
    I have been back since then, with lower water. The last time I set out 3-20 hook lines and then bankfished off a sandbar. The lines seemed to do alright, with a few fish each every 12 hours or so, but the bank fishing was great. We caught more fish on rod and reel than trotline. On rod and reel we caught a good mix of channel cat and blues, and on trotlines we caught almost exclusively blues. All we used for bait was worms. A 11/0 circle hook certainly looks funny with one worm threaded on, but hey it catches fish. My fishing partner is a fisheries biologist who used to work for Missouri Department of Conservation catching sturgeon on the Mississippi, and now works for the USGS is Arkansas. He sure can pick a spot to catch the cats.

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    congrates of the catfish rick