Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we are finally getting the hell out of California and have been looking for a house on a river that has its own boat dock so I can easily be on the water everyday. I’ve also spent way to much $ traveling out of California to catch blues with guides on the Mississippi and in North Carolina. We found a nice house on a “Pool 26” and are thinking of making a offer before traveling out to see it. Anyone have any info on Pool 26? Is it easy to just travel through the locks to leave that area? I’m guessing it’s not far to good fishing from the house but am hoping I’m not missing something as far being located inside “pool 26” . I’ve heard of good fishing at lock 25 but that’s as much as I know. I really do appreciate your time if you have any info for us. Selling this to the wife has been the harder part but I threw in a new Tritoon into the deal for her if she Is willing. Again thanks for your time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So I did some googling and it looks like “pool 26” is just north of St. Louis. I’m from Indiana but I’ve fished MO some and I know there’s big blues around St. Louis I’ve seen lots of pictures with the arch in the picture with 50+ pound blues being caught. Now to me it appears that’s “pool 27” ( I could be wrong) but if you say pool 25 is good (just north) and I know I’ve seen big blues in pool 27 (just south) I’d say pool 26 would be good as well!
Now as for traveling through the locks I have no idea I do know there’s a good amount of boat/barge traffic that passes through there daily so that could be a good or a bad thing. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the area can chime in on that!
side note I’m pretty sure spoonbill run through that area and I’ve heard spoonbilling is a blast!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pool 26 is approximately 25 miles dam to dam. Plenty of good fishing holes in that stretch. To get to the area around downtown 2 sets of locks would have to be gone through. Plan on 2-??? hours to get through each one depending on barge traffic.
As far as a house on the river, be prepared to clean/repair flood damage almost every year to some extent. With that being said, there is nothing like waking up in the morning to the sights and sounds of the river rolling on by.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There's plenty of blue cats above the Melvin price/Alton lock and dam, but there's generally more blue cats from the dam down. I haven't seen any private docks below the dam though, probably because the water level is more volatile. Same goes for the MO river.
Living on the water would be pretty sweet though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts