POO POO TOMATOES

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by chambers bd, Jul 14, 2009.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Slice the number of Tomatoes you need , marinate in a soy Teriyaki type base allow to soak 30 min to days on end it gets better!:big_smile:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds good Brian will have to give that a try. Thanks.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    Has anyone tried the dish?

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    eat 'em by theirselves, use on sandwiches, in recipes, or all of the above?

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian I tried them and they didn't match my taste.

6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Our tomatoes are a bit late in the cold Michigan summer we are having, but with 17 plants bearing fruit, we will have enough to try it soon. I'll try anything once. Usually we water bath can about 28 or 35 quarts for the winter, make lots of fresh salsa, give a bunch away, and half the crop goes to waste by the end because we are so sick of tomatoes and canning. Early Girl and Better Boy work well in our garden, they have so much more flavor than the store bought canned tomatoes.

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    ok, who got to try this dish!:big_smile:

8. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I've been intending to try this, but yesterday was not a good day. My mother watered the garden but forgot about it. I wasn't there. Five hours of cold water in the heat of the day later, she remembered. It was hot here yesterday, and now the garden is dead. All the tomatoes (about 18 plants), all the plans for salsa, canning, spaghetti sauce, etc. are gone! There are a few tomatoes that were almost ripe that were still there and edible, but I don't think the garden will recover from this, the plants are wilted down and everything is in shock.

Well, no point in crying over spilled milk, it isn't going to bring back the garden. If I can't find a deal on a bushel at a farm stand, we'll have to pick up a few cases of canned tomatoes at the grocery store instead; they just don't compare to the ones we can ourselves. I am very glad I canned my peppers this weekend.

9. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    We found our tomatoes at an orchard stand. I don't know if $10 a heaping bushel basket is a good price or a bad price, but I don't care, it replaces what we lost. I'll let you know how the tomato recipe turns out when I make it.

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I did get some tomatoes, and the thing I would change about the recipe is to make sure you are using low sodium sauce, the straight teriyaki was too salty. The soy flavor in the Kikoman sauce I used was a little bit overpowering too, so next time I will try diluting it with some water. I ate them anyway and everyone else looked at me funny and would not even try them...