Pony Pasture round 2..tomorrow

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Last week was a bust on the flatheads. This weekend I at least have 2 bluegills if they live overnight. I'll try to catch more in the morning before I leave. This time I'm going to park right at Pony Pasture and walk as little distance as I can. A cooler full of water with bait is heavy. I also bought a little bubble box so they can get some air. I'm not giving up on this area, I will even go Sunday too...
    however tomorrow I will not be wading out in the water I'll either be fishing from rocks or the bank....
    any advise Pony Pasture fishers?????
    later
    david

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was there with my son and one of his buddies swimming last Monday. The river was beautiful and refreshing. Good luck. Hope you catch jaws!

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hope you caught the monster. I thought about going there yesterday, I did Dutch Gap instead, I went out there from 9-3 only caught 1 9 lb blue on shrimp, got alot of hits on live blue gill but I think the blue gill was too big the bottom half of the fish would be scaless. went back from 6-9 and caught a 14 lb blue on a bluegill. Im gonna hit Pony Pasture in about an hour, hopefully the second times a charm.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well yesterday morning I went to try to catch some more blue gill. I wanted to take at least 6. That didn't happen so I didn't take any. I ended up fishing in the same area as last week and only caught one bass on a chicken liver. I did see alot of people fishing over by the z-dam so I think I know where I need to be. I also found an area where I may be able to catch some blue gill right there on the bank. I can only hope. The flatheads await...I don't know how much longer they will wait though.:confused2:

5. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Dallison I think I talked to you today briefly but I didnt recognize you without your beard from your avitar, I skunked today other than a 2lb channel on a bluegill head. I walked all the way to the Z-dam and didnt get a bite, but I did have to beat away 2 snakes while sitting on the rocks, 1 was very persistent to keep coming back lol.

6. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    David -
    Ya shoulda been there. I was there Saturday at 6:30 and fished until noon. Slayed em. Finally quit because I ran out of bait and my arms were tired from pulling them in. Caught 8 flatheads, from ~10 lbs. to 20lbs.+. Spent about an hour or an hour and a half of that catching bait. Everybody there was catching fish. There's an open area about 1/4 mile below the Z dam. Just below that is a deep pool. You have to wade to get to it but that's not a big deal. You can catch them elsewhere but that's a good place to start.

It's about 1/2 mile or so upstream from the public parking area for Pony Pasture.

7. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    well damn, I was right below the dam guess that was a bad mistake lol. Thanks for the advice even though it was for someone else lol, might have to try it again next week. How do you guys wade with all those snakes? I see people swimming and kayaking and canoeing, i was standing by the rocks and I swatted away at least 4 different snakes in 1 hour, guess i gotta stay away from the rocks

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah I'm going again this Saturday if the rain doesn't make the water too high. I'm just going to wade out where I see everybody else fishing. I think once you get out there snakes will not be an issue. I did see alot of people fishing. I'm not going to give up, I will have to lighten my load a bit. Only take one rod, maybe a small rod to catch some bait.