Pony Pasture 8/16?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Steve Knox, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    Need to fish this weekend, probably Sunday morning. May go to Pipe Line, maybe Pony Pasture. Anyone want to go fishing with me?

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Should be a great weekend, not sure about the pipeline area. I look forward to the report. I'm going to try to hit Pony Pasture tomorrow if I can catch a batch of blue gills...if I don't catch any I may just go there to wade and explore....
    later
    david

3. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    So you Saturday? How was it?

Pipe Line is the downtown area.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I spent the morning catching a batch of bait. I'll be up early tomorrow to hit the flathead hole at Pony Pasture. I'd go now but I know the parking there will be a pain. There will be heavy competition for spots and I'm really a morning person. My only regret is I wish I had 2 trolling buckets for bait, and a private personal parking spot at Pony Pasture.:wink:

5. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    I will be in the parking lot 0615-0630. I drive a silver Lexus SUV. If I miss you in the parking lot look for the guy in the floppy hat wearing a green life jacket. I will be by myself. Will probably cross the river and fish the far side of the hole, on the rock outcrop. I'll have some bluegills. Have 6 or 8 now, will go out to fish for more the hour before sunset. Should have plenty. Hope to see you. I expect I'll be gone by mid-morning, because my arms will be tired from pulling in the big ones!!! :>)

6. Madtom

Madtom New Member

State:
    virginia
    Good luck. I will be coming in when you get going. Werem out.

7. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    Fished about two and a half hours this morning. Did ok. First fish was a blue, about 20 pounds. First blue I've ever caught at Pony Pasture. Lots of channels before, but no blues until today. Couple of flatheads about 15 pounds. Last piece of (dead) bait brought in a channel about 8 pounds. Called it a day when I ran out of bait (not because my arms were tired from hauling them in!).

8. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey steve how did you and Dallison do?

9. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was there from about 7am till 1pm....nothing. One good run on the clicker and that was it. I met up with a couple guys fishing from a kayak they each caught a nice flathead each. They told me the bite is on from about 10am till 1pm ish. Then we saw Otrander and his boats pulling them in left and right. Go figure. After no action I left and gave the rest of my bait to the fellas I met. At least I had fun catching the bait. Gotta look for a positive side.:eek:oooh:

Steve I didn't see you, I did see a guy with a large hat pull in some good sized fish. May have been you I'm not sure. I was the little guy with the big yellow(catfish safari rod:wink:) with long sleeves on, fishing over by the island.

Sound like you did better then I did, its good that there are fish to catch.
    David

10. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    Well dang... you should've waded over. That's why I posted the invitation. I saw you fishing. Just didn't know it was you.... I quit because I ran out of bait.

Don't believe that 10 am til 1 pm stuff. A couple of weeks ago Pound Ponder and I went early. I caught two nice flatheads in the first five minutes, then moved so that he could cast right where I had been. He caught one or two, don't remember. All fish over 15 pounds. Before 0700! I've caught them from first light until past 3:00. They bite when they bite. And you don't catch them if you ain't there with bait in the water when they bite.

Mike Ostrander runs a standard float trip for flatheads. He comes over the dam about 0900 or so, and gets to the deep hole about 1030 or 1100. There are a couple of other holes that he fishes on the way down.

Next time come find me. I'd love to meet you and I have come to know that hole well.

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Is that entire area fishable at night? I hear that's when they bite the best.

12. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Josh I guess you could fish at night. When I fish I have to wade out quite a bit. I would have a hard time seeing the rocks and finding the shallow areas. If I was going to go at night I would need a little raft.

13. MUSKAT

MUSKAT New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    HEY, I'M NOT FROM THAT AREA WHAT DAMN ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT THEM COMING OVER? IF YOU DON'T MIND ME ASKING.

14. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    The Z-Damn, its very small

15. MUSKAT

MUSKAT New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA