Pony Pasture 4 Aug Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Pond Pounder, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Pond Pounder

Pond Pounder New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fished from about 0730 to 1200 inbetween the Z Dam and Pony Pasture. The flatties were killing the bream when we first got there (my fishing buddy and I each caught two within the first 30 minutes and I missed several more bites.) All in all, ended up with 7 flats total, ranging in size from about 6 pounds to 25+. Of course, when I catch my biggest fish of the day, my fishing partner is across the hole and I was unable to measure / get a picture with it. Oh well. I guess that's what keeps me coming back.

This is my second time to ever fish for flatheads and I made a few adjustments from the week before. First, I switched from mono (15 lb) to braid (30 lb) which allowed me to feel every twitch of my bait, especially when they were engulfed! Secondly, instead of hooking my bait in the mouth, I started hooking the bream behind the anal fin (?) and below the lateral line. I was told by a local guide that this would make for a lively bait, and I certainly couldn't argue there. My catch ratio did a 180, and I went from 8 missed fish and 3 hook-ups last week to catching 7 fish today and missing 3. The set-up I was using was a fishfinder slider with a 1 oz weight, a bead, and then a swivel attached to about 18" of 50 lb mono, with a 8/0 Gamagatsu Octopus Circle Hook snelled to the end. Killer rig! Now where can I tussle with some of the 30+ pound fish?

2. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    welcome to boc. sounds like yall had good time, thanks for the report:big_smile:

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Glad to see the fish are still there. I was hooking my gills in the mouth. I should try behind the fin. I use 40lb big game line. I could feel the hits, but I just wait till they set the hook themselves. More then once they would grab the fish and run but I guess they only had it by the tail. They would hold on real hard like they were hooked but then let go. When I reeled in the bait had no tail. So now I'm just going to stand there till the clicker makes a good long run then lock it down. I guess....anyway I use a 4 oz sinker with the #8 gamakatsu circle hook. What I really need is a life jacket. Especially since I go alone....need a fishing partner when wading out in the river. I do fish near other people though so I feel safe.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    When you fishing PP again David? Tempted to come down and give the flatties a try.

Also, does anybody fish there at night. I heard flatties are more active at night. All the pics I see are during the day.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard the BOC. Sounds like you have the flathead fishing down pretty well already. Congrats on a great fishing trip!

6. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va

I'm sure you won't have to look elsewhere for that goal :wink:

Congrats on a great day, and welcome! I'd like to say, great to have another Richmond fisherman, but seems you hale from Carolina. Here on vacation? Sweet, second Flathead trip, and a 25lb'er... maybe I'll get lucky and do it on my first, lol. Haven't tried them yet, just started with Blues being my targeted fish, but not picky, and glad everything is starting to feed again... Just need to get out and wet a line.

I prefer fishing weekdays, how was it for a crowd Tuesday? I know August is going to be busy with bathers on the weekends for sure, and when I drove by there, on the way from work years ago, always had a semi inner-tube tied on top of "Old Yeller", my box Fiat :cool2: We'd do a float about three days a week, just popp'n Little Smallies, and Sunnies while cooling off.
    Would like to hook up with some weekdays Catter's.... In the process of setting up some type of holding tank for Bluegills. If anyone would like to recommend the best bait size, please feel free to post :big_smile:

Great rig description by the way, always a plus.....

Thanks for the report, get back and do it again!

-Luce

7. Pond Pounder

Pond Pounder New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was fortunate enough to have spent my first trip with a number of very knowledgeable locals and got a chance to ask a lot of questions about the area. Here are some of the words of wisdom that they shared about PP.

* Best baits for flatheads there are smallmouth caught in the river (I'm not sure how legal that is, but that's what they tell me works). We used bream and goldfish on that trip, and both got hits. The goldfish seem to be a bit heartier and able to withstand several missed fish before they had to be retired.

* Also told that the flatties stay in the deep holes during the day and the fan out at night to search for fish. If you have the time, perhaps it'd be worthwhile to snorkel a bit and find some of the deeper spots along a particular stretch since the water is so clear.

I've only been fishing on weekdays (lucky me) and it's almost empty early in the morning (7 am) and people start to show up around lunch time. I hear it gets crowded on weekends... As far as bait size, I used 3-5 inch fish. I'd get a bite every 1-3 casts. The key seems to be to give the bait 5-10 minutes to soak, then reel it in a few feet to reposition and wait again. Sometimes, the cats seemed to eat it almost as soon as it settled on the bottom, while other times it slowed down significantly.

I've lived in Virginia Beach the last 4 years but have only started fishing the James in the last week. Too bad I'm moving to NC in a few more days after discovering such a great place to fish in VA! Anyone familiar with catfish country in NC and can point me to a good spot or two?

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Josh I don't know about night fishing there. I'm sure there may be some spots. I have to wade out at least 100 yards to get to the area to fish, then I'm standing waste deep in the river with my fishing pole. I don't even see any rocks to sit or stand on.

9. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Name:
    Steve
    Well it was me with the Pond Pounder Tuesday and I gotta say we slayed em. Together we caught ~15 fish that weighed over 200 pounds total. I fish Pony Pasture at least once a week, on a week day. Let me know if you want to go. Especially if you bring blue gills! (Pond Ponder brought a bucket full, I brought a few, and we used them all.) My cell is 804.840.9460. Call any time. I turn it off at night. It rings through to my voice mail so leave a message if I miss you.

Also fishing at Pipe Line but still earnign that area. Would love to go with someone who knows it better than I.

10. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
    Definetely sounds like you got some good Flathead info. Especially hooking them "gills" behind the Anal fin from underneath so they swim upward and stay livelier then when hooked behind the dorsal, which causes them to swim downward and wears them to "death" quicker.