Pony Pasture 3rd attemt..

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Finally caught a flathead at Pony Pasture..only landed one, the second snaped when I went to take the hook out of its mouth. I had fun.
    2 guys next to me were pulling them in left and right. Looks like I found the hole. It looks like it's popular. I need to work on keeping my bait alive. All my bluegills were dead maybe thats why I only landed one. They put up one hellofa fight. Also I'm not used to just standing in the water fishing either. I had to keep walking back and forth to my cooler to bait up, now I'm tired and sore. I hope to go back again, maybe when it's less crowded.

2. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    when we wade an fish we take a small onion bag and put 2 or 3 blue gills in it an tie it on our side to keep them alive. and if you can get one of them fish basket that set in the water an put your bait in there and tie it off to the bank it keeps fresh water going thru it ands keeps the bait kickn. hope this helps, good luck:big_smile:

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm going to get a trolling bait bucket, that's what everybody else had.

4. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va

that works good to :big_smile:

5. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey
    Dave, we used to fish there a lot years ago. Couple of things that will help you.

If you are catching your bluegill elsewhere get a good not expensive but good aerator and keep your bait fresh:crazy:. Trasfer them to a flow troll when you get to the river.

Get a boogie board or one of those little 2 man rafts, (that would'nt fit one small child) but they say two man raft. put your rods in the raft (lay them down) tie them with a small piece of rope so they dont fall in. Put several other extra rigs in a plastic tackle box for when you definetly get hung up.

........A must....put your cooler of adult beverages in the little raft.:smile2: cans only please!

You will need a small anchor...nothing much just enough to keep you you little comand center from going down river while you are swimming and waiting for the clicker to say something to you.

Live bait is key! Bluegill are a staple however a small 6 inch small mouth is like gold. Dont pass up big goldfish the jumbo jumbos...castaway has them for about a buck a piece.

Take an ultra light w/ a beetle spin to catch fresh natural bait while flattie fishing.

Clickers are very usefull as the flatties are very sensitive.
    Keep your eyes open, sometimes when you catch one 10 or 15 lber there will be another one swimming beside it right beside your legs.

Dont consume too many cold drinks out there the wade back to shore always includes a few good shin busters:angry: Bloody shins are part of the trip if you are fishing where I think your fishing.

Hope this helps. I have used the floating raft or boogie board out there and it makes a world of difference having a platform to work out of. You can put your clicker on and use your rope to safely secure your rod just in case and lay back w/ a life jacket and float the hot days away in the cool James and if you are in the right spot the scenery is quite nice.:cool2:

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I did think about the little raft, thats a great idea, I got the little bubble box too for my bait. I'll be fully ready next trip. You're right about the Flatheads being one right next to the other. I saw to guys next to me each catch a monster at the same time. And I did see one swim right next to my legs. Their heads are the size of bowling balls....damn things are awsome. Glad I started fishing there...

7. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    I fished Pony Pasture today. Caught three flatheads up to 21 pounds. When I brought the first one in (about 20 pounds), two more were following it. By the time I got my hand in his mouth I could see TEN flatheads within 10', from 15 pounds to 25+, that had followed my fish in. Never seen that before.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You sure you weren't Cobia fishing? That's incredible.

9. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    If I'm lying I'm dying....

10. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Sounds like you need to keep a rod baited and ready to throw out when you hook another one...you may be able to double or triple up! :smile2::crazy:

11. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va

What I'm waiting to hear, is what works :big_smile:

With LM, we always have a worm or Jig ready for a missed strike, or following fish. What are the chances of a Flattie hitting a jig tipped with pork? Jig and minnow would probably be great, but the time factor probably kills that... unless you got a buddy along...hint-hint :wink:?

Great job David, your persistence has paid off! :cool2:

12. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    If it were me, I would have a rod rigged up with a lively bluegill, waiting to go. Keep the 'gill in a minnow bucket so you can open the lid and get the bait in front of their nose quickly. I'm sure the follows are cats trying to steal a meal from their hooked brothers.

13. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
    Depending on how long you are going to fish I recomend the bait basket and not the troll bucket. I use the troll bucket when Im only planning a short trip. It will keep the bait lively but usually the bucket is not big enough to hold many bait fish (bream for flatties) for a long excursion, and once the bucket gets crowded, the "effect" starts to deminish. Bait baskets allow almost zero resistant to current and I have filled them with as many bream as I could catch. and kept them like they were never caught for those overnighters. You can probably make a better basket then what you buy for retail with 1/2 wire mesh, pvc piping, zip ties, and pool float tube.:wink: