Pony Express

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fireman10535, Oct 18, 2005.

1. fireman10535

fireman10535 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, MO
    Headed up to Pony Express in the mornin, anyone got any tips for me up there...would be much appreciated

Scott

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I know this is late but

About 50 yard straight out from the handicap dock is a good mussel bed in 12 feet of water-good for eater channels and occasional blue.

Drifting east side of lake can produce blues and channels(and a muskie once every year or so :eek: )

A couple of creeks run in near the gravel ramp,good after a heavy rain

Lately it seems it produces best from dusk till 10-11,and sometimes early morning

As usual,crappie run about 5-6 inches

Decent bass population if your so inclined

Muskie on winter kill shad in the shallows after ice-out

geese everywhere

dove season about over,but still some in the sunflower fields

new fish cleaning station this year,might produce if lots of crappie are being cleaned,and cats feeding on scraps

some huge grass crap in there

3. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    Would Pony Express be worth the drive from Gladstone to do a little fishing? I wouldn't mind taking the boat up there and seeing what all I could catch.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Never got a report back from fireman-I haven't been there in a while.
    I would wait till spring,but thats just me.

5. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    I probably wait then unless I get some wild hair or find someone that just ahs to go fish. I've never been there and read your prior post on it. I imagine it's a fairly good place earlier in the year. Do they offer decent facilities like restrooms and concrete boat ramps?

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Pony is not a bad lake. I have fished it countless times. Facilities are pretty good too. Talked to a guy earlyer this summer that was slaying the blues all small though. The thing with pony there are alot of trees to fish.

7. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    Well now I don't know if I should go or not. The weather is supposed to be good so I guess it will all depend on the mood the night before. What is your definition of small? I'm happy catching anything over 8lbs. Think this motor would have enough power to get me up the Missouri River? http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/ I think the torque and hp would be plenty but my bank account is far from it.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    As long as you have at least a 12 foot jonboat-that motor would do the trick-just remember at pony-anything over 10 H.P. is idle speed/no wake.Ya outta be able to cross pony with that at about .05 rpm's. :D

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well you could just stand on the motor and fish off of it. Looks like the motor is taller then pony is deep.:)

10. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    It's good to know that there is finally a place where my motor isn't too small. I know when I am at Smithville or on the Kaw river I'm moving at turtle speed compared to everyone else. Then again at full throttle it's probably not much different than a 10hp at idle.There's times when the 200hp guys make wakes that my little 5 wants nothing to do with.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    There is always your bathtub!!
    :D :D :D

12. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    I'll go and get some goldfish to see if I can catch something in a small area where I can see the fish. Not sure what kind of bait or if I have a hook small enough but catching a couple of them would atleast put my fish catching in the black for the year.