pontoons?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by jamesgrogers, Apr 21, 2008.

1. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have a 1542 john boat that sits way low in the stearn. no mater how I trim it I end up shipping water on turns. A friend has a flat bottom that he put Pontoons (for lack of a better term ) on the back basically two water tight boxes welded to the outside of the transon. He said that it floated the stearn of his higher (makes sense more displacement) also made it plane out faster. Mine seems to never really planes out correctly ( sits to low and plows the water). What are thes called I did a search on "pontoons" onthis site and came up with post about pontoon boats and I not using the correct term has anyone made this mod to their boat or know anything about what I am describing? I have seen many boats with these on them I am thinking that this may help my problem

2. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have just seen that these are sometimes called aft float pods, a search on that term came up with all kinds of post that had nothing to do with this mod

3. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    GO nto Seaark Boats they have these and tell you about them.

4. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I checked out SeaArk and yes that is what I am talking about. Has anyone added thes on to their existing boat I am no in the market for a new one. SeaArk only offers them on their larger models. 1542 is about as large as I need to go and still be able to run the waters that we fish. I do not know why my boat sits so low it is rated for 25 horses I have an evenrude 3 cyl 25 horse on it I know that the 3 cyl weighs a little more than a standard 25 horse but not that much more.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    James,
    What you are looking for are commonly called flotation pods. There are a couple of companies that offer them aftermarket. If you try a Google search for Flotation pods you might have some luck. I think they are also sometimes called sponsons (maybe not), you might give that a try. I found some good info when I Googled Flotation Rods.:big_smile:
    Hope this helps,
    David

6. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thanks big dave thos two words opened up all kinds of info. I never thought of calling them "flotation pods" and I googled everthing I could think of.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Maybe try to move your gas tank/batteries and some other stuff to the bow. With a 25 that boat should plane with no problem IMHO. i've got a 25hp on a 1448 jon (not that much smaller than yours) and it will plane at less than half throttle. If i dont set the motor low enough mine wont plane out either, the bow goes to the sky and and stern goes way low in the water. This causes the boat to draft about 3 ft instead of just inches. It almost sounds like you dont have your motor set low enough (wrong setting). Make sure you are on the lowest setting on the mounting bracket. I dont know the proper terms for these items, but most motors have a pin that locks in to keep the motor from trimming too low, and also has several trim settings (unless you have electric trim which makes for infinite trim settings). Make sure the pin is set so the motor can go all the way down.

8. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    go to fisherbeavertail.com, see if thats what you need. cliff

9. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have tried all trim levels on the pin and even at lowest setting still drafts deep in stern I have moved bat and fuel forward but nothing works well. After looking at the pods and all info on them I think that they would work well for my situation but for the price of putting pod on I could sell my boat and put the pod money with and get a new boat that is 6 inches wider that comes with the pods.