pontoon tops

Discussion in 'Boating' started by cliff n york, Jul 15, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what are the advanatages are disadvanatages for hard tops on pontoons

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Great to hang stuff off of permanantly.
    The dang things get in the way.

3. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yes i agree, but what about driving to and from lakes. what effects does that have on handleing ?

4. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    i havent hauled a hardtop pontoon but i can imagine if you didnt have it tied down real good at 70 mph it might wanna take off on its own yeehaa

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mine has a hard top, had it 14 years and like it. But I have a boat dock and don't have to trailer it. When I purchased, it had a soft top but the deal included the dealer changing out the soft top for a hard. Always glad I made em change tops.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    the hard tops usually fold down outta the way, if it didnt I imagine it could get really squirrely on the road.. maybe try one of those folding tee tops for saltwater boats, they look really cool & have compartments to store stuff and rod holders on top, only downside is they are expensive.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Pros outweigh the cons I would guess. I only fished off of one once. It was great and the shade is always welcome

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I had one on my pontoon that lowered down about halfway for trailering. Didn't have any problems with that, but having a hard top makes it almost impossible to cast from the 'toon. And you better have a really mojo trolling motor, cause when there's a little wind, that top acts just like a sail. It can make loading the pontoon onto the trailer pretty interesting, too. More than once we've had to get a couple of people waist deep in the water to load it. Maybe if it was removeable, so that you could have it on for the family, and off for fishing?