Pontoon rod holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by willcat, Sep 12, 2007.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    [​IMG] made some rod holders for the pontoon--took some 2" pvc pipe, some 2"tees and 90's glued them together, drilled some drainage holes in the bottom, glued some tees w/ a 45 degree to them then clamped them to the top rail of the toon w/ 4" radiator clamps. works really good, i put 7ft rods in them & they don't seem to stick that far out. plus u can tilt them up or down to suit ur needs & no drilling in the boat!!

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Will,

Take a bigger picture and post it. And some good plans for making it and I'll add this to the library. Looks like a great idea. Be sure to shoot me a PM when you do. Thanks.

3. Dean Shipwash

Dean Shipwash New Member

State:
    n.c Trinity
    Fishin out of a pontoon is great ain't it! U have plenty of room for those BIG cats!:big_smile:

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i'll try to get a better pic 2nite, that was with my phone, not that good!!!!yep i love the room to relax, bbq some meat, and take some ppl w/me also!!!

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I tried to make a pic of the way it is set up hope it works!!! list of materials" 2" pvc pipe-2"pvc tees-2"pvc 90's-2" pvc 45's- plumbers glue & primer(if u want to use primer and glue, or screws if u don't want them glued). First u cut the pvc pipe however long u want the holders spaced apart, then glue the 90's on the ends & tees in the middle(example-90-pipe-tee-pipe-tee-90)until u get them how long u want. Then drill holes in the bottom for drainage since they might get water in them. Next u glue however long a section of pipe u want on top of the tee for however high u want them, then glue the 45's on. Last u can use radiator hose clamps to hold them to the rail or maybe even muffler clamps! Pretty vague description but u get the idea!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Will that looks good and should do a good job. Thanks for sharing. Great Idea.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    well thank u sir, i saw some something like it somewhere and decided to make it work for my pontoon. I saw a guy at the ramp at choke canyon lake and he had driftmasters all over one side and the front of his toon, and he & his wife both said they would have likes to put some like mine on it since they would have been alot cheaper, plus u can change the 45's on top for tees if u like ur rod to be @ o degrees or parallel to the water. Or u can just loosen the clamps and turn it up or down to whatever position ur comfortable having ur rods at!! They work really well for me while fishing and moving around the lake too

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Driftmasters are great rodholders. I don't think you could buy a better one. But, they are expensive. I don't have $200-$250 to spend on rodholders, no matter how good they are. I can make enough pvc rodholders to outfit my boat for $20-$25. Actually, it won't be that much, because I scrounged the pvc pipe for nothing; just a few bucks for hardware.

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    o i totally agree w/ the driftmasters as well, but i don't have that kind of money either, plus i couldn't see spending that much either since i don't get around to the lakes that have the really big ones everyone else catches, although i'm sure there might be some in the lakes i fish i guess i'll probably find out the hard way if i hook into one & the holder breaks!!!lol but for now pvc works just fine for me and like u said it is cheap even if u have to buy everything to make them

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you do have to buy pvc, make sure you buy the heavy duty type. I was able to find a 3' long piece of 8" pvc designed for use as a culvert. Very heavy duty. If you can find a leftover piece like that, you can almost certainly get it for nothing, because a piece of culvert pipe that short is worthless.

12. mocat

mocat New Member

State:
    missouri
    that's a good looking holder,thanks for sharing. this gives me a good start to build one.

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    that's a darn good looking holder paul thanks for sharing!!!!

14. Ranger690

Ranger690 New Member

State:
    VA
    As soon as I get 10 posts in, I am looking forward to seeing these pics.

Dayton

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    That makes 10 & welcome to the BOC!!!!!

16. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
  17. willcat

willcat New Member