Pontoon Replacement

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Koon, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm about to replace both pontoon logs on my 89 Bass Buggy DL. Currently I have 19" dia. 18' logs and going to put 25" dia. 20' logs. My calculations say this is just shy of doubling my floatation and hopefully stop the bow dive I have when someone walks on the front 3rd of the deck.

Anyways.... my question or tips i'm looking for is the best way to get the boat off the trailer and down on the ground to work on it. My friend has a nice tall and large seperate HE-MAN garage that we'll work on this in.

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    well the best thing i can advise seeing as how it is tall is to use an over head hoist or even a couple of cherry pickers to lift it up off of your logs now. i wouldnt recommend lifting it though until you have your new logs ready to go under it. that way you wont have to be constantly lifting it up and down, thus lessening the risk of an accident. or if you have access to an auto-body lift (the kind with the swing away arms)then you can use it, this would be my first choice. it would be alot more stable then a hoist or cherry pickers would be and you could get under it and work on it while it is in the air. hope this helps.

3. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I jacked mine up on the trailer and cut 2x4 props to put under three cross members one side at a time. Removed old toon, set new one on the trailer bunk , then lowered the boat down onto it. After it was bolted in place I jacked the other side up and done the same thing. Took about four hours with two of us working on it. Boat sat higher in the water. Had to shim transom down to get the motor deeper in the water. Didn't gain any speed going from 19" to 23".
    Steve

4. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been told not to do it on the bunk boards of the trailer because it won't keep it square. Plus needing to get the boat off do use the trailer to bring the new logs home.

I figured I would need a transom jack plate to lower the motor, so I have that ready. I didnt' think there would be any speed increase, just to be able to walk and sit in the front of the boat while its under full power will make it worth it. Maybe use a bigger motor in the future.

We just had our boat show here and forgot to ask how they do it. most of the pontoons are just sitting on the ground... ARGH! Guess I'll call a dealer.

5. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Got it... boat dealer stated making a swingset type frame from 6x6 posts will do it. Lowes has all the hardware for the brackets.... Too easy and cheap... most of all safe.

6. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't understand how it could get out of sqaure. Can you please explain?
    Steve

7. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Do us a favor and take some photos of your project. I've wondered the same thing about getting my toon off the trailer.
    I can't imagine the deck of the toon racking, or becoming out of square. I would think all the crossmembers being screwed into the plywood deck would prevent that.
    I would have also guessed that jumping up to larger toons would add to the MPH's. :roll_eyes:

8. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    You may want to think about going from a round toon to a u-shaped toon. I would also try a foil on the engine. This should keep the bow up under power.