Pontoon remodel

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by AZflats, Oct 13, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Brothers,
    I need to remodel my rundown old pontoon boat.
    * I have new carpet but the seats are a mess. I can't afford to buy new pontoon furnature.
    ~ Does anyone have any recomendations for me on how to make seats, or ideas or recomenedations on what I should do?

* I will start the teardown this weekend and will post some pictures.. Right now I am thinking of removing the existing seats completly until I come up with any ideas...

Thanks!

2. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I have seen where lots of people use PVC lawn chairs on there pontoons because they are light weight UV resistant and stack nice when not needed.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have thought a long time about this because I was going to redo my 28 footer this winter. My thoughts for seating goes a couple of different ways. For a pure fishing machine, I would use the portable tube steel captains chairs, available at retailers nationwide for 10-20 bucks each. Of course that leaves you with no storage. My next thought was to build a false floor about 12 inches above the existing floor with hatch doors cut out for loads of storage. (takeoff from basement model motorhomes) Third was to build a plywood bench down the sides and use the old fashioned glider cushions. That would give you loads of storage as well. I also considered taking down the railings as my children are old enough to not have to worry. That way I could use my bank rod holders on the boat or off. In the back I was going to build a storage "closet" for gas tanks and batteries as well as safety equipment and junk. You would not believe what I carry on a boat. I hate the rear seat configuration on most pontoons, of course I get antsy if there are more than 3 or 4 on my 28 foot boat. I figured if I did it right I could have a nice storage are as well as buit in rod holders as well.
    You also might want to look at the tracker line of pontoons for ideas. They have this cabin deal with a sink, stove, dinette, bathroom, in about an 8x8 space.

Good luck and have fun,
    Shawn(OH)

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Good ideas! Thank you...

* I want to save money, but I don't just want folding chairs everywhere, I mean the beat up upholstery currently there is better that that.

I like the bench Idea. I might go for that..

~ I really appreciate the feed back..

** I am going to pull the fencing, and the seats out, replace the carpet. Then I will stand back to let my imagination take over...

~ With weight a huge factor, I don't want loads of lumber on board.. That is why the replacement pontoon furniture in the catalogs are so appealing, they weigh practically nothing..
    ~ Please keep the ideas coming..

Thanks again..

:big_smile: :big_smile:

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    1/2 in square aluminium tubing. Use it to make frames for your furniture. Then cover the tubing with Thin plywood to "cover up" the tubing and to make storage.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

AZcats the best thing I have seen is a "park" type bench made out of wood with a back rest. I have also seen them without the backrest and the padded swivel seats attached to them. good luck.

7. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    On one of my redos I used pickup tool boxes for storage and made a padded
    seat for them for storage and seating plus used the stackable plastic chairs to
    sit in. Stack a bunch in one corner and bungee cord them down. I had the tool boxes at both ends of the rig, one for gas and batteries, tools etc and the other for fishing equipment and lifejackets, etc. We rigged up a back for them and bolted them to the tool boxes.
    Bill

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Over the weekend I dissasembled the entire boat, down to the ribs and the toons..
    * I rewired it, and rebuilt the flooring with some fresh and new marine carpet.
    ~ Check out the photos.. * I plan to make this thing look like a brand new toon when completed..

Attached Files:

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    This is where I am currently at.
    ~ I need to get the fencing cleaned and polished, and the panels painted..

She is going to look like a brand new boat when done..
    ~A

Attached Files:

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Andy,

Things are looking good so far. The only comment that I have is that you are doing this during the best time of the year for where you live. I keep thinking about how cold it is up north and started shivering when you mentioned about doing it outside. :lol:

Ryan

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Andy you are looking good so far now I need you to post a picture of that rail coming off the front next to the ladder for boarding while still trailered. I need to add that to mine.:cool2:

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I know, i should have waited a few more weeks. But when you get th bug to start something, you might as well go with the flow. Anyhow, i started it/ Might as well do it right and finish it...

13. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    Looks Great Andy! A fishing buddy and I purchased a pontoon boat together several years ago and took the seats out. We built a padded box seat with a padded back that went across the rear from one side to the other. We put hasp on the seat lid to keep it locked. The seat part lifted up and was used to store rods. life jackets, etc. It worked great. I retired from a school bus garage and had access to used school bus seat padding and material. You may visit your local school bus garage in your area and ask for their old vandalized seat covers and foams that are discarded daily. They will give them to you at no charge. Most school bus seat covers are blue now and not the traditional brown color.

14. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have read with great interest all this talk of pontoons and fixing them up. I am planning on doing a full remodel on mine. The only thing is I don't have one yet :sad2:. I plan on going with a largely open deck. Possibly some storage type seats in the rear. Then I would use bag chairs for all fishing areas as they are easily movable, light, cheap, washable, and comfortable. This way I can also have a couple bag cots on hand as well for the wife or young 'uns if the night runs long. I have fished this way in another BOC bros. flat bottom boat and it is very comfy and practical. Plus it has Redneck written all over it. Nothing like completing the stereotype! Keep the pics coming, I like what I see. Also an idea for storage is this; take a stiff rubbermaid tote or similar and bolt it tothe bottom of your deck between frame rails and then cut a hinged door in your floor above it. This keeps the floor flat and it won't rust. I have seen this done in jobsite trailers and it seems to work well.

15. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey andy looks like a big job ahead, got a 24' suntracker myself that needs new seats also. buddy of mine took his seats for his speed boat down to mexico cost him 1/3 of the lowest cost he could find around here, he said they used a marine mat'l and they looked well made to my eyes. may be worth the trip down there for you if you like what you already have for furniture. if your going to replace the foam then take some pictures of what you got now to show them later and then strip it all off, beef up and tighten all the frame work put some sealer on the plywood to help it last , im thinking of coating mine with some fiber glass and resin, also going to do the same with the plywood floor doing each sheet before its installed for the extra cost it will last a life time. if ya need any help on the railing let me know and ill hook u up, can meet you down at the river and bring them back with me to modify or repair them 4 u and then meet u down there so you can pick them up, also good 4 a couple of fishing trips, any way good luck on the boat and another big flat, any time ur ready for fishing the river let me know, dude down a the bait shop was saying there an 80# flat up there that broke off on him

16. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Dale,
    Now that's what I'm talking about, but if my flatty broke me off... You know I would have thought it was well over 100#s... Lol...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    * worked last night and finished the wiring and the flooring..
    * Started sanding off all the paint from the fences and aluminum tubing.. Once done, I am going to take it to Macco to get a good paint job..
    * Ordered new seats through Bass Pro..

~ Two weeks till delivery.. This should get me enough time to redo the helm.. More than enough time actually... I will probably be staring longingly at the boat for the next two weeks until the seats arrive.

~ I removed the two side doors and once painted, I will pull the fencing back so I can have a deck on the front, that way I can lock my dog out there when the sun goes down...

~ Anyhow.. I will be hopefully be getting the refreshed fencing put up by the weekend... I will post some new photos then...

Take care~

17. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just redone this 1985 20' Sylvin for fishing. I put truck bed liner coating on the rails and used .040 powdered coated alluminum siding. Onlt a captins chair is mounted behind a alluminum custom center console. We fish from folding chairs from walmart. I was going to put pin mounted high back bass seats but everyone likes the walmart seats. It had 6 rail mounted rod holders.

Attached Files:

18. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    That looks great Blake!!

* I like the idea about the rails. That is a great looking custom job..

Thanks
    ~A

19. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I'm midway with my re-do. 24 party barge. done with re-deck now looking at ideas. some good ones here.

20. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    cool rig Blake, you paint it?