Pontoon remodel~ Aluminum question

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by AZflats, Oct 16, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy!
    I am fixing up the pontoon and I want to do something with the actual pontoons and the other aluminum tubing and runners. They are currently look old and dull..

* How do I get it to shine again?
    ~ I have got an angle grinder and was going to get a bristle attachment to grind off the build up on the toons and try to polish the clean aluminum...

Can anyone help?
    Thanks!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    steel wool and elbow grease. Use an electical sander you may punch a hole through the aluminium. Seldom does anything beat the old fashioned way.

3. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    I agree with LW. Steel wool and elbow grease. It will look better without a hole in it!

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I agree with the steel wool, but also:

Brass, copper, aluminum, and pewter will shine if cleaned with the following mixture. Dissolve 1 teaspoon
    of salt in 1 cup of distilled vinegar.

Use the steel wool to apply the mixture and it should help make the job easier.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Okay,
    ~ I think I still have a few bottles of elbow greese left over. lol

Salt and vinger? I will see what this does.
    Thanks for the tips.

~ The build up on the Sponsons is pretty thick.

Thanks!!!

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I was in the USAF with Orville and Wilbur, I polished many an aircraft with a product called Nevrdull...
    http://www.nevrdull.com/
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    It is not what's right about war, it's about what's left.

7. 1 fishingfool

1 fishingfool New Member

State:
    il
    I use to clean the bed of my wrecker with a cleaner called allumabright. you can get it at truckstops and some commerchal stores it worked great :cool2:

8. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Get you some low acid coil cleaner like they use on air conditioners and spray it on and rinse it off.

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    A good low speed buffer and some polishing compound. Mothers polish is pricey, but it works really really good.

Hope this helps!

Kenny

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Vinegar is a natural acid, also takes the rust off those chrome trim rings on the old rally wheels that dogs love peeing on.:big_smile:

11. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    THanks Yall, my jon boat is aluminum, it has stains on it and I will try some of these remedies to clean these stains.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    alumbrite, toonbrite, there are a few different acid cleaners out ther efor aluminum. all you need to do is spray on and let stand for about 1 min and preasure wash off. your toons will shine like new. all boat dealers should carry toonbrite or some other name brand or any truck stop will carry acid cleaners for aluminum fuel tanks. and best of all it realy is a spray on spray off job no need for elbow grease the acid will do all the work.

13. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Sweet..
    Thanks a bunch..
    * I will get a photo this weekend of that shinny aluminum..
    THANK YOU!!

14. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA

Allumabright!!! That is the ticket. We used it to clean up the "CHEMICAL" tank trucks I used to drive !!!

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks again, I hope it will work for me...
    My boat was docked at a lakeside housing community for the better part of a decade and the build up is literaly 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
    Thanks!

16. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    best post out of em all ..steal wool would possibly scratch the toons Even fine grade wool..low rpm buffer n a good quality polishing compound

17. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    good luck cleaning it! make sure the bottom of those pontoons shine so the catfish can see themselves on the way in! lol

18. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I had tried Alumna bright(sp?) but it did not take off the thick build up, (Calcium, oxidation?) * I found a product at West Marine called Easy on Easy off which is an acid hull cleaner..

* That stuff works great.. I have got most of it off so far.. In result the boat goes 1 mph faster!

* Once it is all off, I think the Alumna bright and polish will get those sponsons to shine shine shine...

Thanks everyone for all your help!!
    ~A

19. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    I concur. Thanks everyone for the great thread. It has given me ideas for my aluminum boat and how to clean it this spring.
    Joe