Pontoon Rails for a pontoon

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by crackers, May 5, 2007.

1. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I got a pontoon that was vandelized before I got it,( ppl that would do someones property for kicks should be used as cannon fodder) and they ripped off some of the rails.They need to bee replaced. My Question is what do you weld alum tubing with.Dont think you buy alum rods and use your welder do you,or how does a DIYer like me do that. Or are there something else like using some 1inch EMT and bend it for your rails. I think you can wire weld EMT Conduit. does any one else have any suggestions. Thanks

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Let me ask this question.
    Why does a pontoon boat have to have railings?
    You have all kinds of options. EMT wouldnt be one of them if you picked up a 100 feet of 1".

If I had to have railings I would probally buy and cut all the aluminum tubing and have it tigged.

3. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If you have some or most of the rails and just need to repair parts of it, it might be cost effective to go whith the aluminum fabrication but thats gonna be real pricey. If you needed to replace most or all of the railing it might be better to think about something like 3/4'' galvanized pipe with 90's and tee's with floor flanges for the frame and that plastic lattice that comes in 4x8 sheets. this makes for a strong , realitively inexspensive and nice looking job. I've seen this done on house boats and looks nice.

4. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The rails are at the bottom of a lake somewhere and the allum is real costly, and we have three granddaughters .that might want to hang on to the rails at some point or other and poor boys have poor ways and I dont know how to tig weld and it would cost a lot of money that i dont have the galvanized pipe is a good idea, and it is cheap, does any one have an idea what the cost of 11/4 tubing would cost then have it tigged for the frount of an 8 ft wide boat for one side and half the other.

5. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Crackers, I can relate to money thing and also making it suitable for those grandkids, we have 9 grandkids ourselfs. There is a place on the net I srumbled onto awhile back that does pontoon kits and they will custom build what ever you need. I would try doing a serch for pontoon kits and you will find them. I'll try and locate it if I can. hope this helps.

6. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I can relate with grandkids, hope you can spoil them rotten thens send them home. better yet get them all the loudest, noisest, toys for christmas you can find to be used at there parents house. wouldnt that be fun. yes please get me that website. checking all options and advice. this place is great thanks

7. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    EMT is a useful solution. I do alot of welding and have used EMT conduit on several boat modifications. Any thing from fold down tops to full rail systems. My 16 ft Happy Travler has EMT gunrails with rod holders all the way around 16in apart. Weight of EMT and Aluminium are not that far off the differance as far as hand rails go will definate not match the weight of adding another passenger. So what you have to do though is protect EMT from the weather . Make sure all welds are sealed water filled EMT is no good. Coat your new welded EMT hand rails with pick up bed liner . It gives them a textured grip to hold on to and protect the EMT from the elements. Any more specs just PM I'll try to help.

8. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Got it home yesterday and will be starting the rails.Will try to post some pictures as soon as i can. Question what do you weld EMT, that is the type of and size of rod do you use I have a welder but not to good at it,but will try. Also how do you get those tight radises on those corners,a conduit bender will make a large radis on the EMT. Can a person use a hicky bender and get a smaller radis. Im sure I could just weld 90s and 45s but Id like to make some bends in the emt to match up to the rails that is still there. thanks

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    The problem with bending tight radius corners with EMT is that it is thin walled and will kink if you try to get it too tight.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Half the 1" emt you gets wants to kink in a hand bender.
    If you get Allied you are screwed.
    Silver Slick usually bends pretty good.

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    A hickey benfder will bend tighter 90's than a standard 1" bender. However, a hickey is used to make mainly concentric bends. The take-up on a 1' hand bender is 8 inches. The key to not kinking it, is to always apply HEAVY foot pressure.
    If you stick weld it you better be really good. A wire welder is even easier.
    Wire brush all your welds before sealing and or coating them. Welding burns off the galv finish. I use "Zinc it" a lot for that.

12. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    What if I fillup the inside with sand and cap the ends would that keep the EMT from kinking, Iv never tryed it but read about it somewhere. It was an old plumbers trick. thought it might work. Im redoing the trailer right now. Then I am going to start on the rails next cheers jerry this site is great

13. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    send me a pic of the boat and some measurements of what you want and I'll make them up for you.

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    u might want 2 check craigslist, there alot of pontoon things on there including full rail systems off of junk boats!!just a thought

15. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    As soon as i figer out the way to up load pictures Ill post some and let you guy give me some pointers. because all advice is welcomed. Almost ready to weld the risers on to the trailer will try to post some of them also.