Pontoon Question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Steve, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone know how much air your supposed to put in the pontoons?
    Steve

2. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't think you're supposed to "air up" an aluminum pontoon. They're sealed and naturally buoyant. Providing interior pressure serves no real purpose as they'll displace the same amount of water as long as they're sealed (or at least as long as the leak is above the water line) at zero PSI or 10 PSI. Too much might compromise the structural integrity of the pontoon. I know of a guy who did add schrader valve type fittings to his pontoons and put 10 pounds or so of air just to have an indicator of a leak.

Seal it up and go fish.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The pontoons on a pontoon boat, do not require air pressure. They work on water displacement, just like a regular boat does.

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Steve, also, they're very easy to blow out if you pump to much air in. Years ago on my first Toon, Son and I were trying to find a leak, I believe we were around 8psi when the front weld on the tube blew out, luckily his friends Dad was able to re-weld it for us. As advised in previous posts, DO NOT try to inflate your tubes, it's not necessary.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Couldn't edit again. A good way to tell if you have a leak, leave your Toon sit in the sun for awhile, pull the plugs, if air rushes out, no leak, if it doesn't, you have a leak some where in the tube. If water blows out, it's natural, from condensation, usually a cup or two. If there's a leak, the air will escape as it warms and expands and will not build up pressure as in the tube without a leak.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

My toons have vents built in. They are located on top about the middle of each one. Looks like a 1/4 inch tube that's bent into a u shape. I think it's to allow for expansion and contraction of the different seasons. Be very careful if you inflate a pontoon. Like they say it's very easy to damage one if you're not careful.

7. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My toons have schrader valves on them. When I had some welding done the guy told me to remove the cores before he would weld so as not to blow out the weld. When I took them out there was some pressure in them. Thad's why I wandered about adding air back. Thanks for the info guys.
    Steve

8. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You probably had a change in barometric pressure that gave you the pressure. I does mean you have a good seal on your welds.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Take something the size of a pontoon and put 10 PSI of air in it and go to unscrew a plug if there is one. You'll probally never see the plug again or remember the ambulance ride to the hospital if you happen to be standing in front of it.
    Think about this. 10 Pounds per square inch.

10. Umba

Umba New Member

State:
    WI
    Mark
    The size of the potoon has nothing to do with how much force will be on the plug when it comes out,which wouldn't be much.Blowing out a weld ,thats where the surface area comes into play.
    Umba

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Umba, welcome to the BOC and you beat me to it. The size is volume of air held. It would take a longer time to reach 10 psi in a long tube than a short one.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I weld pontoon boats daily. Just a small perk living on a lake. but anyways pontoons do not require air pressure to work properly. but it is required to find small leaks. I use a homeade gage to test with but you can buy a pontoon test kit at your local boat dealer. If you intend to check for leaks yourself do not exceed 5 PSI for more will cause damage to your bafles inside the toons and can blow apart. I test all my toons right at 5 PSI that is more that enough pressure to find the smallest hole in any toon. and if you didnt know some toons are in three or four individual chambers and not just one with baffels. for those types you will need to test each chamber .

13. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Thats good info. I own a toon and have never thought of wether or not it needed air. I just assumed they were ok if the boat did not list.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good thread guys

15. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have scrader valves on both ends of the pontoons.
    Would that mean that it has 2 chambers? If so, How would you drain the front chamber. There is a drain plug on the back end of each pontoon but nothing for the front.
    Steve

16. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I would pressure test from the rear drain plug and then pull the front valve if it releases pressure then it is just got a baffle between them if not. you or someone you get to do it for you will have to drill a hole in bottom , let drain , and weld up drill hole along with the hole the water came in from.(note leave valves or rear plug out to weld for the weld will produce heat that inturn will put pressure in the toon and will cause you problems welding. it will either blow out your weld or it will draw moisture to weld site and make it unweldable untill you get it dried up and remove valves or rear plug.)

17. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info. I recently developed a crack on the front of the pontoon. Dropped the front of the boat and put about 2 lbs of air to help blow water out. have used JB weld for a temp fix until I can get it welded. will pull the plug on the back to see if water will drain there.
    Steve