PONTOON QUESTION FOR THE PROS

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by baitchunker, Apr 13, 2009.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    a buddy of mine and myself are looking at buying a fixer upper pontoon boat. we plan on converting it to a sort of base camp (we both allready have good fishing boats).

we found a toon for sale that we think will fit the bill. it is 24' long, with a 60 horse 2 stroke suzuki-98 model. the trailer had the springs, hubs, and tires replaced last summer.

the guy who is selling it was using it to put pilings in for piers and bulkheads. therefore it has no roof, and no seats, just an open deck with rails, and steering console.

the guy was asking 2500$. we offered 1000$, and he told us he would sell it for 1500$. i am going to go look at it tonight after work.

my buddy and i both have baby's, so we dont get a lot of time for pleasure. for whatever reason, my wife Amy doesnt think 10 months old are ready for riding on my boat (18'cc g3).

our theory is that we can put this thing in a storage unit about a mile from my house, where we can work on it. (installing seats and some sort of roof, as well as a makeshift toilet). then we can get a slip for it for around 50$ a month after we have it fixed the way we want it. we figure that even if he only got to use it once a month, and i only got to use it once a month, it would still be worth it.

my questions are? do yall think it is worth it?
    what are some things we should look for, as far as potential problams with the boat itself? and is it possible to build a roof/sundeck on the top?
    also, is it ok to leave a toon in a wet slip[ for long periods of time?

any and all advice is appreciated.

thank yall,
    j.d.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    one more question...

how much does a used pontoon trailer sell for?

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    just bumpin' it up. tryin' to get as much info. as i can fella's.

thanks,
    j.d.

4. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    around here your basic fixer upper pontoon boat will run 1200 to 2000. One key is the condition of the engine, this could be the first area you sink a ton of money into if its not running well. Most project boats were not taken care of which means the engine as well. Check for dents in the logs around any welding seam below the water line, would avoid this as it might have a tiny crack to let water into the log. Other than that pontoons are really easy to work on. I'm really lucky with mine since someone in the boats past put sheets of aluminum 1/4 inch plate for the deck and I don't have to worry about wood rot. Personally I don't have any deck furniture and just use camping chairs works well and you can move around as much as you like.

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    well, we went and looked at the boat last night. fired the engine up and it sounds great. i would prolly still tune it up, and change the foot oil. the boat itself seems solid. i we would have to replace the ply reinforcing the transom. and maybe another sheet or 2 around the deck. but all in all, the deck is solid, and the ply looks good underneath. would prolly want to paint the pontoons themselves, as they seem solid, but dont look pretty. the trim around the boat and the railing needs to be replaced/secured a little better. and we would definitely tear the carpet up. the steering wheel is a little loose (no biggie) and one of the trim cylinders is in rough shape. the trailer was jam up though.

also, i am fairly certain that the guy selling it isnt too bright. the boat itself is at least 28' prolly 30. and he has it listed as 24.

we will put it on the water tonight to make sure it doesnt sink/ the toons dont leak, and the motor goes in gear. lol.

all in all, i think maybe a couple hundred bucks and 2 good weekends would have the boat in pristine catfishin' picnicin' condition. there in lies the only forseeable problem....

i rarely get more than 4 hours of free time a week. much less a full day, and way way less, a full weekend. my lil boy is only 10 months old, and my wife and i work different shifts. so i am virtually allways working, or watching my boy. the few hours i get to myself are usually spent fishing on my perfectly good boat. golfing. or doing yard work. dont get to do much of any of that, if the weather, and or my schedule dont agree with it.

so the real question is, do i really want to sacrifice my only free time fixing up this boat? rather than go fishing on the great boat i have got allready? also the problem of paying either storage or slip fee's?

the idea of the toon is something i have dreamed about since i was a little kid. but the reality of it is that now that i can afford it, i dont have the TIME to put into it. even if it was in perfect shape, i would not be able to use it often. unless it was parked on the water allready.

what do yall think? have i talked myself out of a great deal? i keep thinking that at the least we could turn around and sell it for a profit...

i just dunno.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If it is too good of a deal to pass up I would get it and fix it up. Like you said, you can always sell it if you cant use it enough.
    It would be fun to rig it up, but not as fun as fishin.:wink:
    Plus before too long you will be takin your son fishin with ya, and he might rather have the toon.:smile2:
    That is a tough one though.
    Good luck whichever route you take.

7. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    If this post ain't too late. Buy it , use it, fix it this winter. You could do worst things with your money and time. good luck, Jerry

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    the boat sounds right price trailors will cost about 1,500