Pontoon pushes 94 Bronco thru curves

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by droptine77, Oct 19, 2008.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Just bought a 21' pontoon that when I go thru a curve it feels like it is trying to push the back end of My bronco around or is causing it to dip. Hard to explain. Am I looking at worn out shocks, Need to upgrade the rear sway bar, Need to add a leaf to the rear springs, A six inch lift with some 35 inch BFG's!lol I had a 17ft center console that weighed about the same and had no problems. I think it is a balance issue on the trailer but can't afford a $2000 tandem axle. Any help or suggestions That I could do to the truck to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would start with a set of air shocks or air bags. They - shocks- are fairly cheap and are adjustable.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Another thing is brakes. Does the pontoon trailer have them and are they adjusted right and is the brake controller set right.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Need to upgrade the rear sway bar"

Check the bushings on the old one first.

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    sounds like a combination of problems.. fist buy some heavy duty shocks to help with the body roll of the truck and second you need to look at the tounge weight of the trailer.. how bad does the boat squat your truck when the trailer is on the ball? on most pontoon trailers the axles are atached with removable spring hangers so you can slide the axle front to rear to balance it so you dont need a dual axle trailer... can you post a side pic of the boat on the trailer or even better a pic of it hooked to the truck..
    thanks Adam..

6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Sounds to Me like it is a problem with the tounge weight also,my pontoon will do some swaying if I get to much foward weight on it as well,I can shift some weight around and it will clear up,of course I am pulling mine with a Chevy:wink:Z71,stock heigth and tires,if your truck sits that high in the air if you dont have one you may wanna go to a drop hitch and get a more level ride,when I drove a Toyota pulling my other boat it was raised and I went with a 6in drop hitch and it made a world if difference,check those 2 items out first and if it is not that I would check into the shocks and other things.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sounds like somebody lifted an axle from the trailer which would cause it to be unbalanced.

You dont have to buy a trailer. Add an axle.
    A whole lot cheaper then buying a trailer.

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have seen a lot of smaller pontoon trailers with a single axle so it may have very well came with just one under it but your right adding another axle would sure help..

9. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    It does not have brakes. Thanks.

10. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I'll post a pic.

11. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Its hard to tell by the pic but the boat does set the Bronco down in the back. Not by too much. You can see by the boat pic how far back the axle is on the trailer and the hangers are welded on. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    get yourself a load leveler hitch like you would put on RV trailer, make sure you have "heavy duty TRUCK tires" with good stiff side walls (nothing less then a load range "D" will work), won't take much tongue weight to upset the balance of such a short wheel base vehicle but you need the weight for a sway free tow , and get yourself some brakes northern has add on 4 u

13. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I never thought about the tires. Thanks.

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If that pontoon is pushing your truck around, you need a bigger tow vehicle or a trailer with brakes.

Or you are an accident waiting to happen.

15. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    tires are to big what you got on it 33s

16. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC

They are 235/75 15s.. They may be too small.

17. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    nope the smaller the better do as other post said heaveir load range

18. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    An Anti-Sway bar! I use one to pull a 30ft 10,000lb Travel Trailer and it makes a heck of a difference. I would also suggest putting brakes on that thing and a brake controller in your Bronco. This will save your trucks brakes. drive slow and anticipate stops and start braking a long way before hand. Be carefull and drive safe, remember if it doesn't feel safe it not. Good luck and let us know which direction you went in.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Pontoon boats dont weigh as much as it looks like they would.
    Take one apart and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    If it has a plywood floor that is where the bulk of the weight is.
    the pontoons dont weigh squat unless they are half full of water:smile2:
    Mine is a 24 footer. With a bad back I can easily pick up one pontoon and carry it or drag it.
    Railings dont weigh crap.

They are big but the weight just isnt there compared to what a regular boat weighs.
    My rig is heavy but the weight is in the home made trailer made of 3" steel channel. Whoever built it went just a tad overboard on the engineering. It would make one heck of utility trailer if I floored it.

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

So if a pontoon is half full of water, what formula would I use to determine the weight? Also the drag factor along asphalt or a dirt bed would help. Does the thickness of the material apply to moon phases along the equator south of borneo? :big_smile: