Pontoon Prop Issue

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by droptine77, Jul 5, 2009.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I hope I can explain this right, I got a 1994 21' Sun Tracker Fishin Barge with a 2000 75 hp Mercury. I had a stainless steel 14x19p prop. The engine ran fine but I was only able to get 22.5 mph out of it. After talking with 2 dealers and countless other people they all suggested that I should go to a 14 x13p to get better power and way more MPH. Well I went out and bought an aluminum 14x13p and now the engine sounds alot smoother but I still am only running 22.5 mph.

My question is did I make the right move with the prop? Should this boat be faster or am I just SOL. BTW my friend has a 24' Harris float boat with a 40hp Evinrude that runs just as fast. HELP!

2. That sucks dude. That 75 should push her pretty good, definatley faster than that 40. You got me man.:confused2:

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i had a 96 sun tracker w/a 70hp force & that's all i was able to get out of it also........

4. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks guys.

5. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Pontoon boats have a maximum hull speed (unwritten rule). Once they reach that speed ie. 22mph thats it. No mater if you run a 40hp or a 150hp. All you'll do is burn more fuel. You made a good move with the prop size, now you have a lot of bottom end tourqe. I had a 20ft Sylvin with a 90 merc. on it and I went through everything I could just like you. I started a 20mph and after all I could do I ended up at 20mph. For Speed buy a boat, for comfort get a Pontoon. Or come off the bucks for a tri-toon.:cool2:

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Greg
    Blake hit it on the head...........I chased that problem all around with my pontoon boat and finally came to realize that 13/14 mph is all Im gonna get out of it. I have a 60 hp merc bigfoot four stroke on my 18 ft and she runs like a herd of turtles. Dependable as hell, cranks first time every time as soon as you hit the key and can run a solid week on 20 gallons of gas fishing every day. The older I get the more I see that Im built for comfort not speed........

7. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Thats the funniest thing I've ever heard!:smile2:

Thanks guys! I guess I'm lucky it does 22 not 13 or 14. I'd go crazy.

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have to dissagree here, I have a 22ft Palm Beach w/ 90hp E-Tec Evinude and loaded with gear and 6 adults it with run 26-28mph. I'm not sure what the prop size is but its all factory set up I've not done anything to it but gas up and drive it.:big_smile:

9. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    That sounds about right to me Greg,I have the same pontoon make as you,21' 1999 Suntracker Fishin Barge w/60 HP Mercury Bigfoot,fully loaded w/gear and 2-3 people and bait tanks full mine runs 17-18 mph and with just me and pretty much empty it will run about 21-22 mph,mine has the Aluminum prop as well.What kinda RPM are you running since you changed the prop?I am not positive of the pitch on mine right off hand but I will check in the morning for you.
    I have been considering upgrading to the 90 HP E-Tec Evinrude myself,I would like to get a couple of MPH if possible and hopefully help with the gas mileage as well,just considering right now though.I just like the comfort of a Toon,so I am sticking with it either way.:wink:

10. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    my uncle has a 20 Lund poonton with a 60hp and got 25 - 26 mph, then added the center TOON and a 140 HP and still only does 29 - 30 mph:embarassed:

Is this what your tring to acomplish?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  11. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Marty I'm running 5400 rpm according to the gauge.

12. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I couldn't view it.
    I just thought that my toon being shorter, lighter and almost twice the engine as my pa-in-law I should be able to at least pull away from him. I got a good mind to put the 40hp that came with it back on and enjoy the good gas miliage.
    Thanks.

13. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Is this what your tring to acomplish?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Greig you can under skin the deck to keep the water from flowing up against the cross members and it helps. The third toon helps to get the front up out of the water to make it skim the water better but at a speed of 30 and over they are very unstable in my book.
    I have an older party barge 24 footer and I have tilt and trim with a 100 merc and it gets a little above 30 but at about 25 she feels good.
    The setting of the motor depth has a whole lot to do with the speed but some will go no faster no matter what you do. As it has been said I like the comfort and will tolerate the speed.:wink:

15. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You should look in to one if you are considering changing motors. It gets good milege if you don't run wide open all day. I run mine at about 4000-4200 and that seems to give me the best mileage. The other thing I like is how quiet the motor runs. I will check today and see what size the prop is on it.

16. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The prop on mine is 31.75 x 13. 90hp E-Tech Evinrude.

17. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Roger do you really have a 31 3/4" diamiter prop:smile2::smile2:

18. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Sorry it took so long Greg,mine is 14" diameter and 11 pitch

19. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LOL! Yea it should have been 13-3/4 x 13.

20. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Dyslexics are teeple, poo!

:wink: