Pontoon Owners!! I need help!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by TOPS, Apr 27, 2006.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My brother in Louisiana just bought a new pontoon. He asked if I could help him mount a fish finder on it. I told him I would help, as I was looking around the pontoon there seems to be no place to mount the transducer. Pontoon owners where do you mount your transducers and how? How close to the water must the transducer be?

All help/info will be much appreciated!:confused: :confused:

2. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I don't know how his pontoons are configured. Mine are flat on the back not rounded so I simply drilled into the pontoon sealed with watercraft silicone and screwed the trans down. Works great for me. My buddies pontoons are rounded so we made an L shaped bracket welded to the pontoon to give a flat surface and mounted it there. I have seen son mounted to the lower unit of the motor but I would think this would give alot of distortion.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
  4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mine came with a square bracket on the back at the bottom of the pontoon. The square piece allows the transducer to hang below the pontoon under water, I presume to minimize distrubance. Wish I could post pics of it, but I'm at work and I don't have any pics of it any way. Hope this helps.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fish off a pontoon and mine came with a bracket mounted on the bottom of the pontoon at the stern. I ran the cable up under the deck and drilled a hole where it came through to the console. It took about 30 minutes to do.

If it is an older boat and it does not have a bracket, then you may be forced to drill into the pontoon. If either of you are fortunate enough to be able to weld aluminum, then that may be a more leak free alternative.

Make sure it is as far back on the pontoon as possible so it will not affect your trailering.

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Thats the way mine is too Top.