Pontoon or Regular boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by shingman6, Jan 20, 2008.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    I,m having a hard time trying to decide if I should get a pontoon or regular big boat. I will be fishing the lakes of Santee and maybe Moultrie. Whats your thought on this?

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Just remeber, you can't get up those creek channels with a pontoon boat most of the time. I've been considering the same thing but still haven't made up my mind yet.

:wink:

3. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I like mine with the extra room that it gives but on the down side is it is a little slow

4. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    i have a pontoon and wouldn't trade it for a regular boat for anything. i enjoy being able to walk around and also carry the grill and cook up some dogs!

GARY

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Iceman has it laid out in a nut shell. I love mine but I have both so I can go either way but there is nothing like going on a fishing trip and cooking a good meal and iffin you want to take a nap just lay down and do it. Did I say I like my toon.:wink:

6. Drum

Drum New Member

State:
    McEwen, TN
    I guess it all depends on what you want to do. The pontoon is nice because of the room and you can drag along more people. But mentioned above, you can't go in a pontoon where you can in a smaller vessel. I have a 16' Tri Hull and I do all my fishing AND playing from it. I can go bass fishing, tow a tube and especially catfish from it. You can put you a small gas grill aboard and fing ya a nice bank to grill on and let the kids play and swim. I guess I just look at a pontoon as strictly a pleasure type boat. I bet you could make a mean catfish fortress out of one though...

:eek:oooh:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Go with a 20ft boat and it has all plenty of room. And will run good. Also able to fish out of one better then a Toon also.
    But that is why they make both.Some like the toon. but a 2072 boat has plenty of room. And the best of both worlds.
    Pete

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you are not having to travel far or having to get there fast then you can't beat a pontoon for room and comfort. I have an older model 24 ft. toon and as far as fishing comfort it can't be beat.

If your fishing tournaments and speed and distance is a priority then a pontoon is not for you. My cousin has a 21 ft. wareagle and Big Sam has a 2072 and they are great tournament boats but if you ask either one of them the pontoon is way more comfortable.