Pontoon motor size

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kybunniebuster, Aug 9, 2006.

1. kybunniebuster

kybunniebuster New Member

State:
    winchester kentucky
    first off let me say im glad to be back and have some spare time to enjoy the site and my brothers and sisters for a while been working around here on the yard and pontoon so much been to tired to get on here at night. here is the problem i messed up and priced my 1988 100hp merc to a cop and he is supposed to be here next weekend from western ky to get it so now im motor shopping i was wanting to get rid of the 100 hp to save on some fuel that thing drinks it i have found a couple mid 80's merc 50 hp in great shape for around $1300.00 but a guy that lives a couple countys over has a 1990 model merc 35 hp take in mind i dont ski or tube just fish will this motor be enough for a 24' pontoon i dont get on big swift water only small lakes and the ky river the only reason i would consider it is the guy made me a great deal on the 35 hp with controls and a 14' fiberglass tomboy boat with a 9.9 merc and trolling motor all for under a grand what do ya think will it do the job? im just looking for a motor that dont cost me $40.00 in gas to go fishing like the one i just sold i dont hafta go fast just as long as it dont take me 3 hours to get 3 miles :lol: and the small boat would be handy to fish some of the other spots without having to haul the pontoon around just leave it in the river all the time

2. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    i used to have a 24 ft pontoon with a 55 Yamaha and it would run 18mph.

3. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Kenny, I have a 24ft toon with a 90 merc, I runs about 32mph, but it does like gas, Give Ace a PM, He has a 24 ft toon with a 40 merc on his, Maybe he can help you............steve

4. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    sounds like a great deal, 2 motors, a troller and a boat for under a grand!
    only problem is the 35 is not going to be nearly enuff motor for the pontoon.
    you are going to want a 50 at the very minimum. slow is ok with me, but you at least want to be able to plane it out. maybe sell something and trade up? best wishes and big fishes!!
    catwacker

5. kybunniebuster

State:
    winchester kentucky
    i came out good on the 100 hp for what i sold it for its plenty to get a 50 hp with cash left over but was just wondering about the little 35 didnt wanna hurt the pontoon on the water to bad

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have a 20ft suntracker and I run a 25hp merc bigfoot.

~ It goes 9-11mph... But that is fine with me.

~ Slow and steady.

~ A

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Kenny the 35 will push that toon but no fast as you seem to relize. That is the first step is to relize the h/p ain't there. You know you are going to have to swap props in order to keep the RPM's in the working range.
    Personally It would not bother me at all to putt around with that 35.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have a buddy at work that has a 35 hp merc on his 24 foot pontoon with the smaller logs he thinks its to small but it gets him there and back with no problems so if speed is not a factor the 35 hp will do fine. I have a 24 ft. pontoon with the larger logs and it had a 50 hp merc when I bought it and it wouldnt go much faster than his 35 hp. The merc locked up last year and I found a 60 hp evinrude with controls and power trim for $1200 it still wouldnt pull a skier but it is plenty fast for me and gets me from point A to point B and back and is not bad on gas.

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My sis in law has a 24' Harrison pontoon with a 50 HP evenrude. It idles great for trolling and has enough speed to out run most rains. Not enough to ski but you can pull the kids on a tube.
    Bill

10. kybunniebuster

State:
    winchester kentucky
    thanks for the replys guys im just looking around and didnt want to jump into a small motor with out asking questions thanks

11. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Check and see if you need a long shaft and if the 35 is a long shaft.