Pontoon loading/unloading alone

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Cattledogz, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I am looking for some suggestions on ways that I might be able to load and unload our pontoon by myself.

Here is the situation:
    I love to fish as much as anyone on earth and due to permanent injuries from a head on car accident (not my fault) and now, arthritis/fibromyalgia. and peripheral neuropathy in my feet, I no longer work. My husband (oldtroll) works days Mon. - Fri. and when needed works overtime and some weekends as well.

There are lots of times that I could go fish but the problem is that while I can hook up the trailer to the Suburban, pull it, back it in the water, get it off the trailer, drive it back onto the trailer, etc. its very difficult for me to get off the pontoon, go park the truck/trailer and walk back to and get back up on the boat. But the even bigger problem is in getting it secured once loaded back on the trailer. Often when putting it on the trailer, even though it pulls up snug, and we snap the strap hook, when I pull it up the ramp, it has to be tightened/pulled forward some with the winch strap which is all but impossible for me to do. Also, getting the rear tiedowns fastened is another thing that I can't quite get on my own yet.
    Most people I know work so couldn't go if they did fish and the ones that don't work don't fish...lol

Any ideas aside from someone wanting to meet at the lake and fish with me? Of course I would be open to finding some fishing buddies too...lol The lake being High Rock and/or Badin....

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

2. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Barb, have you looked into getting an electric winch for the trailer? They also make the regular winches with different ratio's to make it easier to crank on. As for the straps is there a way for you to use a cheater pipe on the ratchet? That would make it alot easier to ratchet tight.

Joe

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What I do with my pontoon is I drive it up on the trailer snugly, then fasten the winch to the boat and go ahead and tighten it tight as I can. Then I pull out of the water and fasten the other straps. Never tried loading/unloading by myself yet though. Hope this helps.

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Don't know why I hadn't thought about an electric winch, would have for a regular boat. Will check into it but not be surprised if it ends up to be cost prohibitive. Hopefully not.

Also hadn't thought about a cheater bar and when I read your reply it gave me a good idea.

Thanks!

5. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Anytime, glad I could help. On the winch, you could looke for a used small 4x4 winch too. Ya might find a good deal somewhere on one.

Joe

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I think this may be a help and its only $40 6K rolling 2K pulling capacity. I had one similiar and it really made things easier.

[​IMG]

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    What kind of trailer do you have? Does it have toon or deck support? I have toon support and my trailer has a ladder to a step ladder to aid in getting on and off the boat.

Here's a pic!!

Attached Files:

8. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Too cool and sooo affordable! Thanks a bunch!
    They recently put a HF store less than 20 miles from here. Guess you know where we are headed this weekend...lol

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Hi Joe.
    The trailer is a CC Rider and while it has the T-style stop for a pontoon the arm is just straight up with 2 far apart angle iron steps (more like just narrow bars).
    I have looked for the ladder type like you have but have yet to find where I can buy one. Thought I would stop at one of the large lake marina/boat centers next time I went around Lake Norman.

I have looked for them on line but come up empty handed. Any ideas?

Thanks!