Pontoon kits

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Phil Washburn, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i would really like to have a pontoon boat. i cannot afford a new one, and i have been looking at kits. there are a couple of companys that will sell you any or all of the pontoon boat. from the pontoons alone, to basic kits all the way up to the complete boat. has anyone ever built their own pontoon boat? looks like fun and it would be cheaper than buying the whole thing. not only that, but you can build it exactly how you want it.

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Phil,

I believe you would spend a lot more buying a kit and making your own. There are tons of old pontoon boats out there that you can strip down and rebuild to your own specs. I almost bought a 20 footer last year for 300 dollars. There was no motor, no interior and the floor needed to be replaced but the toons and trailer were in prefect shape. There lots of old ones out there and if you take your time I'm sure you can find a good project toon boat for under a 1000.00 bucks. My buddy and I bought a 30 footer that we are basically stripping all the way to the toons and rebuilding it to take the entire lenght of the navagation channel to the Mississippi. Hopefully in 2007 just need time and money.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Man Chris, that sounds like a really cool trip. gonna try and float back, or have a trailer there to meet ya?

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I would like to find a used one under a grand! Around here, used alumanum pontoons alone go for 1500! I have seen some kits brand new at 2500 locally, which is about the going price for a used pontoon boat! Of course Calif. is more expensive. There are exceptions! Search your local craigslist!

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I would love to find an old 24 -26 ft pontoon to redo. Then, get a newer motor for it if it didn't already have one.

Be great for taking the family out on or fishin in lakes.

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

Tony,

There will be a route truck pulling the trailer as we go down the river and set up camp and fish at designated points. Then whoever is driving the truck will switch out with another person. We had plan to do it this spring but we haven't done much too it in the last year. I think we spent too much time fishing and hunting.:p Anyway it looks like I'll be having lots of free time here in a couple of weeks so I probably start working on it soon. We paid 2 grand for the boat but it a 30 footer and has a great 115 horse motor on the back. We've been using it quite a lot lately but it's time to finally get this project rolling. Hopefully this link will work from the old site and you can see what we are working with.

http://brotherhood-of-catfishermen....uth.cgi?lm=1101624328&file=/38286/839138.html

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    link didn't work, Chris. that sounds like a great trip you are taking. i'll tell you what - next time you hear of a pontoon that needs work for 300 bucks you call me collect. i have been looking for a used pontoon that i can repair for 2 years. i know where a couple of them are, but the owners will not part with them. they are just sitting ion the weather wasting away.

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Chris, the Link works! I remember when you posted that a couple of years ago! What a trip that would be! I want to do the same thing on our waterways! Please keep us updated!

9. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Phil,

I"ll check into and see if that one's still around I doubt it, but you never know. It was a great deal and kind of wished I bought it. We have enough materials from the three routes trucks that we bought for another floor. If I see another good deal I'll let you know.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Phillip and Tony, have either of you checked out ebay? I go check out the Toon page just to see what's available, there are really some super deals on there. You might get lucky and find somethning close to you that you could go look at before you buy. My fishing buddy Jerald (Catfish Quiver) has been checking them out.

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    one of my moms neighbors planned for a year to take a 26 ft pontoon on the oklahoma governors flotilla . it started at the port of catoosa and went to the mississippi. his fuel bill killed him he was out before he got to arkansas. i guess he couldnt afford as much gas as the oklahoma taxpayers.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    around here in s.c you can pick them up in any shape or cond. for about any price range. I picked mine up for 1200. it is a 20 foot and it had trailor, motor, and a trolling motor on it. used it right away but have since put a larger motor on it, replaced the carpet, took all the seats out except for the captains seat and extended the rails out to the front of the boat and did away with the 6 ft deck that was on the front. i am in the process of covering the underside of the floor with sheet alum. and i have my eyes on a extra toon to run up the center to convert it to a tritoon.i am also planning on moving the console to the center to give me a walking area all the way around the boat. hoping to do that real soon so i can finish the underside of the floor.

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Phil if you look in the libary there is pictures of the toon I made. The toons will be $$$$$$. ever thought of using swim raft toons?
    Bill:)

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would suggest classified ad from newpapers, accessed via internet. Also check with some marine salvage yards. We had a huge storm here last summer and many toons took a beating and are now piled up along the marina. Just a thought.