Pontoon Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by sgt_132, May 28, 2009.

1. sgt_132

sgt_132 New Member

State:
    N-W Ohio
    What is your opinion of fishing for the flathead on a pontoon? Do many use them on the river for flathead fishing? Or does a V bottom boat work better. I would like to hear from the guy's what your thoughts are. Thanks Scott

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have a pontoon that we use on the lakes for fishing. On the rivers here I use a 14' jon boat with a 3hp motor. The river is not big enough to get my pontoon on. I do use my pontoon when I fish the Arkansas river because of the barges.

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a V-Bottom and it works great in big wake. I would love to have a pontoon for the comfort and room though. The main reason I didn't get a pontoon is I fish solo 30% of the time and I didn't want to load a pontoon on a trailer by myself all the time.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I fish solo a lot too and use a Mod.V john boat for the ease of loading.:wink:

5. Mr_Catfish

Mr_Catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My buddy has a pontoon we use on the Maumee.It works great,only have problems when the wind is strong or during high water.It is hard to stay anchored during these times.During these time we take my 16' sea nymph out.

6. criss

criss New Member

State:
    ohio
    There is alot of guys using pontoons down on the Ohio and everyone I talk to seem to like them.

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    tough call, as each have their unique qualities. A toon sure make things comfortable. i looked hard at them before I got my SeaArk. The deciding factor for me was being able to go extremely shallow where a toon couldn't go. If it wasn't for that would probably went with a toon.

8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I HAVE A 16 FOT PONTOON WITH A 10 HP. I HAD THE BOAT BUILT THE WAY I WANTED IT. THE CONSOLE IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TOON.
    I HAVE POLE RACKS ON EACH SIDE OF THE CONSOLE. ELECTRIC ANCHOR FRONT AND BACK, ALSO A THROW IN DAN FORTH ANCHOR FORNT AND BACK. I CAN LOAD THE TOON BY MY SELF AND I CAN FISH IN AS LITTLE AS 3 AND A HALF FEET OF WATER. I HAVE FOUR HIGH BACK LAWN CHAIRS FOR SEATING, I ALSO HAVE EIGHT POLE HOLDERS AROUND THE RAILING. FOLD DOWN ROOF. ALSO A SMALL CAMPING POTTIE FOR THOSE SUDDEN EVENTS.TWO FISH FINDERS.
    ALSO WEIRED THE BOAT TO WHERE I CAN MOUNT CAMP ON SHOP LIGHT ONTO THE RAILING WHERE YOU WENT AND THE HAVE 12 VOLT D.C. BULBS .ALSO HAVE PROPANE LATERNS THAT FIT ON THE RAILING AND WITH STAND ROUGH WATER.
    I LIKE THE ROOM TO MOVE AROUND AND EASE OF HANDLEING THE TOON OTHER A REGULAR STYLE BOAT. YO CAN STREACH OUT AND TAKE A NAP , YOU CAN MOUNT A GRILL ON THE RAILING THAT WORKS OFF A PRONE BOTTLE,COOK BURGERS.COFFEE OR FISH.
    I MY SLEF THINK THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO FISH, IF YOU LIKE TO FISH FROM A BOAT.

MOOSE:wink::big_smile:

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got one a 22ft pontoon last year and love it! Plenty of room and comfort. I can take the wife and daughter out all night and they watch movies on a DVD player or roll out a sleeping bag and sleep when they get tired. I can fish and not worry about stepping around them, get up and walk around when I want or lay down too. As far as fishing shallow mine will go easy in 2ft of water. I beach mine on shore to let the dog do his thing several times on an outing and just push off and go. Wind can be a little tough but get the right anchor for the type of bottom you are fishing and let out plenty of rope. When it gets windy I will put out an anchor front and rear and I have no problems. Also you can take a lot more people out on the boat with you if you want.:big_smile:

10. sgt_132

sgt_132 New Member

State:
    N-W Ohio
    Thanks guy's I just moved my pontoon from Indian Lake to the Maumee. Later Scott