Pontoon fire on Lake Hartwell.

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by RiverratSC, Jul 8, 2006.

1. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I saw on the news that a pontoon burned completely up around HWY 24 and Portman's. I hope it wasn't any of our cattin brothers. They didn't give any names but they did show the boat on fire and then completely burnt.

They did say the two people on the boat escaped without injuries.

2. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I heard it go out over the fire radio they had a hard time finding a rescue boat to go out there it took them forever but on the radio it did say everyone got out but it didnt say what cause the fire do you know?
    Stephen

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    From the first video I saw, I would say the engine caught fire.

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mmmm This post is a good reminder to check your fire extinguisher! And maybe add another one to your gear.

I can still recall standing on the front of the family boat with my Mother and Sister ready to abandon while Dad exhausted two on an engine fire. Thank goodness for the fellow who motored over and threw him one from his boat! It took three 2.5 lb-ers to put that one out.
    Can you say... close call?

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    We were headed into town for pizza and I saw the pontoon tonight I think it is over across from stricklands at that little shop. It is toast all that remains is ashes and the toons looks bad. Glad they got off.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Very good reminder.

I keep two fire extinguishers on my boat, and both are away from the engine. Buy the biggest you can afford, because the small ones that come with most boats with spray for about 3-4 seconds, and that may or may not be enough.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
  8. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    He was and all of the flags at work are at half mass not many details about the incident yet