Pontoon Engine / Locked Up

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ThaWstSide, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, I have a few questions hoping to get some insight...

I am currently trying to help a buddy get his pontoon boat up and running, I dont know alot about the engine yet, but he has told me it is "locked up" or "seized up".

I know it depends on hp, and some other factors, I know there is what is called short shaft and long shaft, but I am just trying to get some ideas if this thing is worth even trying to mess with...

If so, approx how much to have it rebuilt/overhauled. could it only be a certain part of it that needs to be redone, I have seen/heard where it could be the upper or lower.

I am not boat engine savvy and want to possibly learn but dont want to half "butt" anything either.

I really just want to get out on the water and catch some fish, and some big fish at that!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    cost all depends on what size motor it is 2-4-6 cyl i would try to turn the flywhell to see it it moves any and if it does it probaly the bottom end or pull the lower unit off first if the motor is seized up it will need bored out and short or long shaft is just the length on the lower unit did it seize while running

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009

3. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Thanks for the tidbits of info, I will no more shortly. The boat is an hour away from where I live, once I have more info I will pass it along. I was just hoping to get some insight on what I can do to find out myself without dragging the boat around to find out.

Myabe I can check a little more now with what you have told/asked me about it.

Thanks Again!

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    First off , get a Manuel to cover that engine. You can check one out at most libraries if you aren't into spending that kinda of money. Next to diagnose this engine if it has seized then take the lower unit off and see if the engine will turn over if not then pull the head cover off.
    This will give you a look at the cylinder walls to let you know the damage. I have seen them blow a head gasket and take on water into the cylinders and hydro lock the motor and it will stop dead in its tracks.
    My advice to you is if you want to learn about these engines get you a good spark tester and a good compression tester and the Manuel. The first thing to diagnosing any problem is compression test and spark test.

5. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    I had an inboard that did that I filled the cylinders with marvel mystery oil and let it sit for a few day's then cranked it over and blew out the remaining oil,worked good.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take a look at the spark plugs, if they're still in the engine.
    If they look black and oily, there may be hope.

Don't confuse a 4 stroke engine like an inboard, with a 2 stroke outboard. When a 2 stroke outboard locks up, ain't no amount of mystery oil going to help it, unless it's from sitting for a very long time.

Like Bubba says, pull the head and you'll see right away.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Spark plug testers run about $7.00 at auto parts stores or you can get a solid state one for about $60.00 thru JC Whitney's. Compression testers run about $20.00 to $30.00. The local Auto Zone store will loan you a compression tester, but your required to put a deposit down equal to the cost of the unit. That way if you don't return it, you've bought it...which is reasonable. LOL