Pontoon choice

Discussion in 'Boating' started by shingman6, Feb 7, 2008.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    For those who have a pontoon ,what model and how do you have it rigged out?

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I bought a used '96 suntracker party barge and took all the furniture off of it, installed 4 bases for fishing chairs in the front cuz i usually take ppl w/me. I left the flip flop seat on the side and just took out the livewell so i could use it for storage. And made my own cheap rod holders out pf pvc to mount on the rails!!!!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If your not out to impress the ladies then get an older model and strip all the furniture out. Then set it up with about 20 rod holders and a live well. Leave it as open as possible and rig it up to suit your kind of fishing.

4. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I just purchased a '94 21 foot Suntracker Party Barge that other than the carpet being faded and the vinyl on the seats being baked and cracking from sun exposure is in excellent shape.Was sort of leaning towards a '24 fter but ran across this one and the price was right and included a trailer and a ton of service work just completed on the motor. Also since I will be trailering this the 21 footer will probably be a bit better and it will be rare to have more than 3 or 4 people aboard so room should be ample.
    I will pull all the furniture with the exception of the helm seat and the flip seat as I will retain the "livewell in it for a bait tank. I plan on using a couple of the drop in plastic lockable truck boxes for storage and deck/lawn chairs as the furniture.
    I just purchased a nice half camper enclosure for it to make inclement weather more bearable and to be able to pull some weekend stays on the water. their will be pcv rod holders installed inside the rails for travel purposes and probably about 8 driftmasters on the rails for the fishing action.

I also plan to install a 24 volt bow mount trolling motor about 70 lbs of thrust to aid in cove fishing and to get me back to shore in the event of motor problems and will I use all led lighting to save battery power.
    Also plan on a color gps/sonar combo.
    Future upgrades will include eliminating the carpet and going with marine vinyl for the flooring, that will be next year probably.
    Work should be starting within the next couple of weeks!

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    we have a 24' fisher toon with 2 fishing seats in front and back. It is great for the family to fish with the kids can sleep on the benches (and me):wink:. have a 115 merc on back and it will get up and go.

6. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We bought and old 24' suntracker party boat and completly rebuilt it all. The aluminum stuff was all good, so it was a matter of redecking and putting on new carpet ( we use it for cruising and fishing and just keep it clean w/ power washer) cleaned the rails and painted them , the motor was blown and sold it to Willcat for parts he needed and then found a 60 hp johnson for it, cleaned and repainted the trailer, new lights, bearings, tires,and put my own custom rod holders, two big black storage boxes from wally world, built new shop built console right in the middle and then installed seat basees front, back and 4 more places thru the middle and use new fishing seats aquired from ebay, also bought a new bemmini top to replace the old hard top so it could be parked under an exesting cover. We have less than 4K in it and we think its as nice as a new one with no payments. This is probly more info than you wanted but sorry, I just got carried away.

7. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    1989 Bass Buggy DL with 50hp evinrude.

Got lucky on 2 parts.. the entire deck was aluminum and the console was already in the center.

Gutted the entire boat, removed all furnature. Had a new console custom fabricated out of sheet pvc and water jetted the holes for the gauges, switches, steering and throttle. Used Ultra Tuff for the floor and would recommend this for everyone! no carpet for me anymore. have 35gal bait tank infront of the center console and 10 rod holders mounted around the entire boat.

We use folding chairs for seat and can move around freely as needed. Agreed, keep the deck space open is key! Fish 4 people extremely comfortable.

8. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca

9. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Heres a few pics of mine,21' Suntracker Fishin Barge with 60HP Mercury Bigfoot,its minus the 30 gallon Bait tank,and 110 gallon holding tank and other goodies in the pics,but you get the idea,I have also since these pics stopped using the chairs at the front and back,the one bench seat and console seat is plenty for 2-3 people,cant beat em for big cat fishing in my opinion,might not get there as fast as some,but you will have the room when ya do:wink:

Attached Files:

10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    No pictures of the back of the toon???? That's what I was looking for. :wink:

11. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I will take a couple of pics tommorow and post em,i have one but its not a good veiw and the toon has the tourney setup now anyway with the big holding tank and all,that would be a better pic

12. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Here is follow up pics of the back of my pontoon

Attached Files:

13. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    That is perfect!! My toon needs some serious catfishing mods. I don't have any access to the back of mine. I like what you've done with that. Sweet!!

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    WOW! That's a real nice looking set up you have, like it alot, great looking rig.

15. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    id like to hear or see more of the ultra tuff,if ya have a site id love to see it thanx..

16. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not much to tell other than its way better than carpet. Can buy it through Cabelas or Basspro.

Prep work is key! I was lucky with my entire deck being aluminum. I used a belt sander to remove all the Oxide and carpet glue from the deck. Used an automotive (por-15) self etching primer, then just used Ultratuff roller to roll the deck on. It goes on in thin layers so I had to apply many coats to get the thickness i wanted. I used 4 gallons for my 8'x 18' deck. It might of been over kill but my deck has a nice even thick coat of it.

The rubber crumb which makes up then non slick surface rocks! easy on the knees.

Haven't found a petrolum product yet that stain it. everything just rinses off with water.

At the end of the day of fishing and with shad guts and scales all over the place... just a bucket of lake water and throw it on the deck, instant rinse.

I also installed spacers between the deck and rail to raise it .25 inch so water just rolls off the deck.

17. gryan0607

gryan0607 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We just purchased a Northwood out of SC and outrigging it now. We are planning to purchase rod holders and extra lights for night fishing. It could run into alot of money. Will let you know the outcome.

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lots of good ideas !!!!!!!!!!