pontoon boat trolling motors

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by iceman, Jan 16, 2008.

1. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    i'm trying to figure out how to set up my pontoon with a bow mount trolling motor but don't want a bracket on the bow. i was thinking about a transom mount and turning the head around to be used on the bow. is that possible? i have a 24 ft. pontoon what size motor do i need to push it good. i'd like to keep it 24 volts. i plan to use it for trolling in calm water and general pan fishing. do any of you have any ideas for me? i need them.

THANKS
    GARY:confused2:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can take one and turn it around like you said. That is what I did. As for the size, get as much thrust as you can afford because I have a 65 # on mine and it is liken in thrust at times.

3. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    Gary, I bought the Minn Kota Power Drive Pontoon 64# thrust for my25ft Crest. It is 24V and does a good job as long as the wind isn't too bad. I got the wireless remote for it so I can drive it from anywhere in the boat.

Shayne

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I fished alone in a jonboat, I got into the habit of turning the heads of my TM around because I ran the boat sternfirst when using the TM. Fishing alone, the bow was high enough that the least amount of wind would make it almost impossible to keep a straight course, especially as very low speeds. As already posted, you probably want at least 65# thrust; I had a 50# on a 20' pontoon, and while it handled it OK in no wind, by the time the wind hit 8-10mph, the TM just couldn't handle it. I'd also recommend getting not only the wireless, but the kind that raises and lowers remotely. (Maybe all wireless do that; I'm not that familiar with them.)

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    great post i'd like to read some more on this as i'm trying to find one for my 21ft toon also!!!! However i did look at the ones minn kota makes for the cavitation plate & those seem the way to go to keep things to a minimum off the floor of the boat so that u could fish off the front of the toon easily!!!!

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yea I would love to have one of those that fastens to the big motor but they are way out of my price range.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree they are quite expensive, but i looked @ the long shaft in the 50,60, & 70 lb thrust and they can get quite expensive also!!!!

8. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    in my opinion this is one place you don't want to go cheap...buy the biggest thrust motor that you can't really afford but get it anyway cause when the wind is blowing and you need the extra power it is worth every hard earned penny...also...and this is extremely important...i recommend getting a motor with the auto pilot option and wireless remote so you can "set it and forget it"...you still have to make some adjustments to your desired course but it is a MUST HAVE option and when you make adjustments you can be any where in the boat and don't have to have your foot locked onto your trolling motor...good luck with getting your motor and trust me on this...DON'T GO CHEAP!!!!!!

9. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I'll 2nd and 3rd ALL THAT!!:wink:

10. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Heres what I did with mine. I do ok with it but have thought about doing something else. It is a 70lb 24v and works great. but I think I can do better.

however this cost me almost nothing so I cant complain.

Attached Files:

• k.jpg
      k.jpg
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
  11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    this is link to my restore if you want more pictures of trolling motor let me know, not many pictures of it on link. It is 2 pieces if angle iron with small gussets added on and then bolted underneath deck. I use 2 long pins to hold motor on. I can pull pins ,unplug motor and lock it up when not fishing.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35099

12. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I have a 12V Minnkota Copilot trolling motor on my 20' pontoon. It has a mount that it slides into that stands about 3/4" off the deck. So it doesn't really get in the way to much. The wireless remote is the only way to go!!! On a pontoon, you have plenty of room to walk around, and the remote is just awesome. It comes with remote holders that zip tie on your rods, so it's always right at your finger tips. I only have the 55 lb. thrust model, and I wish it was bigger. It has done just fine on the lakes so far. But with the current in the big Mississippi, it'll pretty much just slow my drift. It'll get me to the side of the river if I ever need to get out of the way of a barge in an emergency too. I say check out the Minnkota Copilot trolling motors, you won't be disappointed.

13. kbdeepwater

kbdeepwater New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I am not familiar with the wireless models, but I use a 75# thrust Minn Kota for my 24 ft. pontoon and have been very happy with it.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Jerry I would like to see some more pictures of that set up as I don't like the way mine is.

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree jerry, that looks like a nice setup. Some more pics would be appreciated!!!

16. Webfoot

Webfoot New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Like wise, I wish I would have put more iinto my TM. Only have a bow mount, has plenty of power but sure would be nice to have autopilot. With no AP someone has to be running the motor. :embarassed:

17. BUCK

BUCK Guest

and autopilot is the only way you can pull 5 rods out the backof the boat