Pontoon boat trailers

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by crackers, Apr 22, 2007.

1. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    buyiing a pontoon boat from a friend but does not have a trailer. Does any one know where some one can rent a trailer around Springfield Mo. gion to call some of the local marinas and ask them. Then after I get it home was going to build one for it as any one built there own and was it hard to do I have a welder and two axels and some tubing for a frame but not sure how the bunks should be installed on it.. Thanks very much

2. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    anyone buy a pontoon boat without a trailer, How did you get it home Im trying to get one home but running into problems all trailers Iv found has rails that will hit the pontoon tubes. what did you do to get it home I need some Ideas. Thanks

3. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I would check the boat dealers in your area for one you might rent, they sometimes sell pontoons delivered to the water for people with boat houses on the lake and if that does't turn up anything then check any marina's to see if maybe someone that might havr there toon in a boat slip would loan or rent you a trailer long enough to get yours home.

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Jerry I live about 1 1/2 hours away from you over here in OK. A couple month ago I was looking for a new boat I can remember seeing some old pontoon trailers. How long is your pontoon and I will check around grand lake to see if I can find one for you. I know its a longer drive than what you are probably wanting, but you might have to make it in order to find one. I don't know of anyone personally who has one or I'd help you out.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you plan to build one ,you better be hanging out at boat dealers and taking a look at them.First thing you are going to need is an accurate weight of the boat/engine/gear combination so you can plan for adequate springs /axles tires.Get that wrong and you will be bending the axles and blowing tires all the time.I would call the manufacturer of the boat and ask them what kind of trailers do they recommend for their boat,then go to a dealer that sells those and take a look.:smile2:

6. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Yes Jbarns17 please check on one for me I need all the help I can get. It is a suntracker 21 ft with 71 inches from center to center and grand lake is not to far for me to drive to. I have called all the marinas and dealers and they dont know where I can find a trailer yet,but im still looking. Have went to bassPro and went to there lot and looked and measured there trailers, dont look too hard to build there using 2inch X 4 inch tubing, but I want to get it home first then start building the trailer. this site is great

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jerry, I purchased a pontoon boat without the trailer for I live on the lake and where I bought it was on the same lake. Fishing boat the same way. I first got their bottom price including trailer, otherwise I would have paid for the trailers I didn't get. My pontoon was in the water for 10 years until a little over 3 years ago I installed lifts.

8. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I start looking.

9. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I had a 21 foot Tracker party barge and I can tell you the trailer wasn't adequate for the boat. I replaced 2 axles in 5 years because of it. It was a single axle trailer. The year after I got rid of mine they went to a tandem axle trailer which I think they should of had all along. Just my opinion. The boat itself was great on the water though.

:cool2:

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I live in KY but we just come back from Branson and some where between sprigfield and St louis there is a pontoon trailer manufacture. they set right up against I 44 on the right side if your headed to St louis. I would guess it to be around Rolla. and for a one time rent thing I live on a lake here and the only place here that moves toons is the boat storage co. theres about 6 of them but im not shure if they will rent their trailers they usualy charge a fee and pick them up, put them in or out of water for you. you might want to look at theese kinds of places. if you find one you realy need an older jack up trailer not a drive on. For the jack up trailer you can pull under with toon on the ground and jack it up and go or set it down and pull out from under it. and as far as makeing a trailer Im a welder and if you have to buy all your supplies you would be better off to just buy a trailer thats comple for on avarage a used trailer you should be able to find from 5 to 800 bucks and not have all the labor hours in it although theres not much to it but I'll bet the paint gob will be much better.

11. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Im planning to use a house trailer axle under the frame because I can use the 8-10 ply tires,(and because thats all I have) but thought if they can hold up a house trailer they should hold up the frame and pontoon boat have two of them so may use them both. I have some 2inch x 4inch heavy wall tube that i plan to use for the frame. This is my plans Unless I can find a trailer that is all ready built that is very reasonable to buy.

12. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Crackers let me give you a little free advice from an old welder that has built many trailers and used a few house trailer axels along the way. The under carriage you're thinking about using for the pontoon trailer is 20 times too heavy for that application. Those axels are rated at 12,000 lbs. each and your toon will only weight about 1,200 lbs. and also those axels are very hard to get lined up and balanced right. They will most likely be over legal width and need to be cut down and that ain't an easy job either to get it right. If I were you , I would look til I found a factory buit trailer. Just my .02 cents for what ever it's worth.

13. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    buying one is my first choice,but I want to get it home as soon as possible.

Pontoon trailers are very hard to find, and so I was going to get it home first by the cheepest method possible, even if I had to build a trailer first, then I would take my time to find what I really needed. I have to move this boat as soon as I can.

14. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Another thought to consider is that many states have outlawed the use of the two piece type of wheels and tires for private trailer usage and construction that are commonly found on mobile home axles. Sure would be a shame to invest all that time and money to build a trailer and then find that the DMV will not issue a title for it as constructed. I do not know the laws in your state but worth checking into in advance to just be sure.
    vfourmax

15. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I never thought of that about them not letting you use trailer axles, will have to check on that. I think I have a nice lead on a pontoon trailer that has two axles on it and its made for a pontoon supposed to be in good shape.It would be so much easier to go that route than all that hassel of building one just to try to pickup a boat. Im too old and I need to be thinking about getting out there and FISHING, thats what its all about any way. WHERES THE BAIT.

Thanks

16. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    pontoon trailers are like hens teeth to find, but I did find one and In lookin for one I TOOK ALL OF YOU GUYS advice I found out that if a trailer only has one axle for the pontoon trailer that you do have to replace the bearings pretty often unless you dont trailer it very far to the lake. It is recomended to have two axles on even an 18ft pontoon trailer so that it will not fish tail on you.

I got one that has two axles on it so not I can get on with getting the pontoon boat. I will try to take some photos as i go along getting it ready.

Thanks for all the advice from you guys you have been very helpful

17. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Had a suntracker with a tubular frame trailer. It literally rusted all to pieces. I have a 24' Beachcomber with a tandum axle trailer made with c channel. It is painted better and has held up well. You need about 3500 lb Axles. I changed out the 13 inch wheels. I went to 15". You can get better rated tires. There needs to be some safety margin built in or you will have lots of ongoing problems. Three years ago I was looking at buying a galvanized tandum axle trailer from a top of the line manufacturer. At that time they were running $1400 and materials had gone up $100 that month. The completed trailer is more competitively priced than the parts.

18. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    mobile axles are also a bad idea in general for building a trailer since they are really not meant to so the amount of miles that a boat trailer will probably see in its lifetime.