Pontoon Boat Project

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by RIP, Jan 29, 2006.

1. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    This is my first post I am from tennessee and looking for ideas for a pontoon I have acquired. It is a 1985 play craft 20' with yamaha 40hp,want to make a catoon. Have been looking at this site since november,and I like it!

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Welcome to the BOC RIP.

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Thanks James. How do you add pics

4. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    RIP: First off - Welcome to the BOC. Good to see you made your first post.

Making a catoon isn't an over night project. It sort of evolves and becomes a lifetime project to suit your personality and way of fishing. Some thoughts and recommendations:
    1. You never have enough room, no matter how big the pontoon is. Most pontoon boats were designed for cruising and partying and have way too much furniture on them to be good fishing machines. Give some thought to not replacing stuff (chairs, couches, etc) when it becomes unservicable. You will find plenty of uses for the space it takes up.
    2. Rod holders. Another very personal matter. There are as many varied designs of rod holders as there are people to use them. The number of rod holders and the placement of them on your boat depends on a lot of different things so be prepared to experiment a whole lot.
    3. Storage. By their very nature, pontoons have a lot of storage room but it is real hard to make the best use of it. I personally have found that using portable boxes and buckets works the best. Storage boxes are readily available in a large variety of sizes.
    4. Seating. I removed most of the seats on my boat and now just carry the foldable canvas camping chairs. They are light weight and when not needed don't take up a lot of space.

There is a lot of additional information on this site as to how others have their boats set up. You can do a search for "catoon" and probably find enough information to keep you reading for a good while. I don't know of anyone that would object to you taking their ideas and putting them to use on your pontoon.

Good luck.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Welcome to the board RIP! Your pontoon boat sounds like a real cool project and I look forward to seeing pictures of it!

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Rip, check out Jims catoon. Also check out Greg's rodholders
    That'd be "catfish feverl" and Nightfisher"
    Welcome to the BOC bro!

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Rip, where are you in Tennessee? I live about halfway between Dickson and Clarksville. I have a pontoon that I've done a couple of modifications to if you'd like to see it. Just give a holler with a PM sometime.

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Thanks to everyone for the welcome. oldprowler I dont think I am going to put pontoon seats back on it as I want as much room as I can get. Thanks for input. Whistler I am in somerville,about 30 miles east of memphis.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Welcome to the brotherhood RIP.
    We got a few members that have made some awesome catoons.

10. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Welcome RIP,

I too have recently acquired a pontoon and while mine will have to remain a family boat I still plan on a number of modifications. These probably won't start till april but I will post progress.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Welcome to BOC RIP.

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Look in the libray here. There are great indeas on rod holders and other neat stuff! Oh, Welcome!
    Bill:thumbsup:

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A buddy of mine has a pontoon that we are rebuilding to be a catoon! He wants to start a charter on some local waters with it. But we've replaced all the deckboards, carpet, repainted the console and rails...we started with and '88 18' bass buggy. We're trying to decide on what angle of rod holders we want to go with right now...there is a ton of stuff going into it...we've complete stripped out all the old seating, and are going with few combination seat/storage units...and are deciding on what kind of bait/livewell to go with! We're also installing a second fuel cell.

14. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Do u have any pics? c_wernett

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    RIP I'm east of near the Tn river. You need to make it to the Pickwick gathering when we have one. Its in the spring and then the fall. Lots of fun.
    Also welcome to the board even though I'm a little late.
    Pete

16. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    shilohred I would like that, I know a guy that has a place on the river there, I mean right on the river. walk out on his deck and there it is mabey this summer we can make a trip there.

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Howdy Rip, welcome to the BOC. As everyone's already told you, there's quite a bit of info in the Library, with pics and explanations on just about anything you want to do, homade livewells, rodholders, etc..
    Here's a couple of pics of the "Catfish Fever" just to give you an idea what can be done to/with one. "Like the Old Prowler" Tom said, it's a constant and on going thing. I've had mine a little over 15 years now and just finished two modifications. As for posting pics, there's a tutorial that explains how, also how to size them before you try to post them. Good luck with your Toon.

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Rip, sorry bout that, forgot the pics, here they are. Also, the aluminum truck box across the back holds my batteries, starting/trolling motor, PFD's, etc.. Well, for some reason, they don't want to upload, I'll try later. Sorry.