pontoon boat on white river

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by lfeduccia, Aug 1, 2008.

1. lfeduccia

lfeduccia New Member

State:
    indiana
    I was wondering if anyone used a pontoon boat on white river? I want to trade my 1970 monster truck for a pontoon boat to fish on white river with some friends and was wonder if anyone else ever used a pontoon boat?
    I listed the truck on craigs list and actually been have trouble finding someone to trade with but when I do I hope it well be a little more stable then my bass tracker crappie pro 175 with a lift plat on the motor. I hate it when my brother moves the boat rocks bad, but not as bad as that 14ft flat bottom I used to have.

So what kind of boat do you think would be better, stable, and still able to go in the shallows.

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man, a pontoon is gonna SERIOUSLY limit your travels...
    I HATE my bass tracker for the river... it's stable because it squats down in the water with weight but I can't go far in it, I have to stop at riffs... like you will in a pontoon. lite boats are gonna rock... nature of the beast... unless you have a bigger jet, lite boats are the second best way to get around in the white because you can get out and pull them over shallow riffs... go WIDE, that'll help alot, skinny boats suck bad for stability. also learning better ways to move around in a boat helps too... some folk just arent sure footed enough for that though... just make 'em sit still in the center of the seat and take a coffee can for 'em to whizz in LOL.

3. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    My wife hates fishing period. She will only go to the Gulf Of Mexico & OR
    if I choose to get a small Pontoon. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!

4. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i take my pontoon on the wabash and the tipp in some areas but i,d never try it for the white. i have a 24 ft toon and it,s great on the lakes but unless your on those rivers or the ohio they suck at other area,s . you might try looking into trading it for a 16 or 18 ft wide bottom and she,ll like that if she trys it , if she dont then look at all the peace and quite you,ll get with your brother ( hahaha) . you might also try indianafreeads.com it,s a local posting site for free that has ads and bedford connect .com theirs is free also .

5. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    do not get a pantoon 4 the white river on any fork of it. i have had many of props damaged on that river. u get a pantoon stuck out ther u in big trouble, i promise u that. get a wide flat with a jet motor. look around and u can get a good deal. ur old lady will never let u go fishen again if u get her stuck on the river at night.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL, I think you jinksed us both with that post bro...:eek:oooh::tounge_out:

7. Crimsonrain22

Crimsonrain22 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Could go the route I plan to go. My winter project this year is a UH-14p Hovercraft. Plan on using it more to get from beach to beach on the river then to fish from but shutting it down to do some fishing is always a option. I to have trashed 1 to many props in the river so if all goes as planned next year I will floating above it.