Pontoon boat covers

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kevinw, Apr 20, 2007.

1. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    Does anyone know of a fairly inexpensive boat cover I can purchase for my 22' pontoon boat. The place in town that makes them has gone to a much cheaper material but gone up in price. $1500.00.. I a little on the poor side and cant afford that. I want one that I can haul down the road. I have found many that will work just sitting. I have a PartyKraft. No one seems to make a cover for that particular brand. Any answers?

2. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Any generic LARGE tarp will do. Way less expensive... and when it rots, just get another. Even the expensive ones will rot at some point.

The key is to make a tent out of it. I run (2) 2x4's down the center on a sawhorse type stand. This makes the peak of the roof line. I then use sand bags on the gromets to hold the bottom down. Extremely easy to remove and setup.

3. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    never thought of the sand bag thing. I was really wanting one I could run down the road with to keep rocks, dirt, and bugs off my boat and seats.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Kevin, build a frame from PVC pipes. Cheap and easy to fix if it breaks. Then once you have the tarp over it, take bungy cords and tie your tarp off. If it's tented like that it will shed water and leaves much better. I have a 24 foot pontoon and will not pay the price for an expensive cover. I placed an article in the library a couple of days ago for a regular boat that should give you the idea.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46250

Click above to see it.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I haven't ever had one for running. Never had a problem with anything that made me want one. And I take my boat all over the place to gatherings. I'd want one of those that are factory made probably. If one ever came off while driving it could really mess up the boat and kill someone else on the highway. For that, I'd stick to one that's made for the job.

6. jnjmeyer

jnjmeyer New Member

State:
    Richmond Heights Mo
    I have a tarp cover just as Bryan described. I have a 24 ft toon. My tarp is 24X12. Made the frame from 2" poly tubing. 2 elbows and 2 T's. My frame is about 4ft high. Connected the front of the frame to the rails on the toon with u-bolts. I glued the frame, but wish I would have just bolted the elbows and t's to the poly, so as to not have any pieces longer than necessary for storage. My demensions are 3 pieces (6'6" for the ridge pole and 4 pieces about 4' for the uprights. Bought the tarp on the internet for $49. It's cheap but it lasts for three years, maybe more if you're not in a snow zone. Suggest you use "J-hooks" and 1/4 or 3/8 rubber rope. You can get both from any place that makes truck covers. You can buy rubber rope in any bulk length and cut it to size and it's much cheaper than bungies and in my opinion much better. All told the cost was about $110. Make sure the tarp has grommets no further than 2' apiece. You tie a figure 8 knot in one end of the rubber rope feed it thru the grommet in the tarp, then stretch it to where you want to connect it (leaving a little slack) and cut the rope about 6 inches longer and thread it thru the "J-hook". Any rubber rope left over is great for trot lines and jugs. "J-hooks" unlike bungies can be removed to shorten or lengthen whenever you wish. You can get a small piece of tarp, put grommets in it yourself to make a cover for your windshield. A friend of mine was towing his toon with the cover in place and it tore loose. About $900 shot. He now goes with the tarp to cover it.

7. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Check out cabelas or overtons. They have pontoon covers and I think thy have tie down kits for running down the road. They will cost you around 300 bucks. Hope this helps.

8. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.