Pontoon Boat @ Alton - any luck getting a pontoon to anchor up?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by mississippi man, Dec 30, 2008.

1. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Just wondering if anyone has ever had any luck getting a pontoon to anchor up at the convergence or below the dam in alton. I am getting ready to buy my next boat and I am exploring all the possibilities. I know there are several anchors out there, but is there one to hold a boat like that down there. If so what setup are you using

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I fish out of a 20' pontoon below Mel Price, and at the Confluence. I tried quite a few anchors without much luck till I finally bought a 25 lb. richter anchor. This anchor does a great job at holding me steady.
    Right below the dam I break out the cheap 16lb. walmart river anchor. Just let it hit the bottom, and it'll be snagged up in no time. The richter anchor is to expensive to leave wedged in between one of the boulders below Mel Price. I have a few stored down there. :wink:

3. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Thanks for the reply. I cannot decide, a big jon boat, or a cattoon. But I guess it is a good problem. Have you ever tried a slip ring chene anchor?

4. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Yep, tried the slip ring chene anchor. I could never get that thing to hold. You could feel it dragging along the bottom, but it would never grab. No matter how much anchor line I let out. I think the river washes all the loose sediment away. The chene anchor needs a soft bottom to dig into.

5. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I SEE PONTOON BOATS ANOCHOR BELOW MEL PRICE DAM

6. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Come to think of it..... my slip ring chene anchor is one of the ones stored at the bottom of Mel Price tailwater. :smile2::roll_eyes:

7. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I have one of those and I have a river anchor but there could be no retrieving that one, if stuck in the wrong place. If I get a pontoon I'll try the richter. I just need to decide on a boat now. It is kinda funny I have been down there a whole lot and never seen a toon hooked up.

8. James1987

James1987 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I feel for you on the choice between pontoon boats and john boats. I myself am in the middle of a coversion between my ozark crappie/ bass boat and either a pontoon or john boat. They both have there advantages and disadvantegs, but i lean more tward the johnboat bc of the fact that you can get one with a lot of room and comfortability. Plus pontoons are more suceptable to wind and take a lot more of a vehicle to launch and pull. In the end it just boils down to either with a pontoon lots of comftorablility and space but problems wth wind and launching or a johnboat with less comfortability but less wind resistance and eiser launching and accessorising. But its all based on personal preferance

9. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    The wind is definately a factor, I also have 2 small kids, and the wife. I used to own a pontoon and I pulled it fine with a Durango, but you knew for sure it was there. Comfort is a factor, but the most important factor for what ever I get, is that the motor is warrantied. I have had way too many motor issues to talk about and it has caused too many embarrasing moments. So with this boat the wife said at any cost get the motor new this time, and make it last for a while. Ease of launching is also an issue. I am leaning awfully hard towards a big jon.

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    if i had my choice as to what boat i wanted, i would go for a sea ark. plenty of room for the family and a lot more catfishing friendly

11. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I have a pontoon boat and they are nice for cruising and can be used for fishing under certain conditions. On the open water and on recreational lakes, they are very nice. They are hard to manuever in small coves especially if the wind is blowing. They are nice if you want to take the family out and have guests along. A large Jon boat is better if you are fishing in coves and have just a few people fishing with you. If you want to fish all day and take the family, the pontoon boat is the way to go. You can anchor a pontoon if you put out enough anchor and run out enough slack for waves or wakes.

12. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just run a small boat, but if you want to make an anchor hold better, but a few feet of heavy chain in front of it to make it really dig down. I use a 10# navy anchor with some heavy iron chain, and it works great. The chain will also help you hold with less anchor rope out.

Shawn

13. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    i have a 24' pontoon and the amount of room is great, but if you fish the river trying to keep it still in the wind is hell and a pain to keep a tight line. plus moveing that big thing sucks. i have recently bought a jon boat. i like it much better. not as much room but still enough.

14. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Yeah I think this comment might seal the deal on my choice, The pontoon I had previously was a challenge at times moving it. I almost ripped the guttering off the garage.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Man Troy, just find ya a nice used toon and a nice used 20' jon and use the jon as your tow behind, :smile2:

16. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I agree whole heartedly!!! This is a good problem! Hey try this video it would be a good life. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RaFApVP0zU

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Man Troy, It wouldn't take a hot second to jump aboard with them on that ol shanty.....got er made right there....

18. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I am jealous, seem like a fun crew to be around.

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yea, that would be an awful tough way to spend a week or two in the summer......

20. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Yep, that does it. Time to outfit the ole' toon. I'm collecting lumber scraps! :tounge_out: