Pontoon anchors

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by larry d. grady, Aug 18, 2009.

1. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    okay,i know alot of you guys fish from a pontoon.i switched from a 18' center console to a 21' pontoon,my question is what kind of anchors are you using and are they doing the job?:cool2:

2. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    i use 2 30 pound mushroom anchors. holds my toon still in lakes have not tried them in any rivers yet.

3. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    thanks tommy.wher did you find your anchors?i cant find one that size.iv been to bass pro,gander mt.,dicks exc.

4. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    cant really help ya there bought my boat bout a month ago and they were under the seat!!:crazy:

5. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    try ak mccullums??

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I use home made anchors, cost me about $8 a piece. I was going to shorten the tines on it but they worked so well I havent messed with them. one pictured is 12 lbs. I made a 25 lb. but I havnt used it because the 12 lbrs worked and 25 is heavy. got the tie wrap on the end to help retrieve if it gets stuck. got that idea from BOC...metalman I think.

Attached Files:

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Larry,I have a 21' toon and on mine I use a 25lb Richter Anchor from BPS along with a 5' peice of Chain on the front and on the back I use one of the Mighty Mites with the bendable tines and a 5' peice of chain off the back,Thats in current and wind,get a good hold with these 2 and you aint going no where.The Richter runs about $60 at BPS and the Mighty Mite I got a Boaters World,it was about $70,I know that is alot of cash but well worth it to me for holding power:big_smile:,the Mushroom types are no good in current to me,I have 2 and dont like em,they are ok on a day with no wind and no current to speak of,but if boats come by you creating wakes and stuff you will soon be floating off.
    Alot of guys will just use a 25lb barbel flat weight off the back also.
    Its alot of work pulling em in without winches but in a bad current or wind you will need it with a Pontoon.Thats just from experience:wink:

8. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    In order to anchor effectively, you'll need at minimum, three times the length of rope for the water depth you're anchoring (the Coast Guard recommends 5-7 times the depth). So for example, if you want to put down in 20 feet of water, drop anchor 70 feet upwind, allowing 10 feet for the anchor to catch, then pay out 60 feet of line before tying off.

The purpose of the chain is to cause the anchor to tip over as well as acting as a shock absorber, keeping the anchor on it's side without the wave action acting on the boat and causing the anchor to raise up and pull loose.

I use one of these for my 20 foot pontoon and works like a dream: http://www.richteranchors.com/

Just me...but i will never go back to mushrooms.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  9. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    thanks guys for all the imfo,the boc is the only thing a man needs beside his fishing stuff.

10. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    with a 2000 lb boat and wind, anchor weight is not what will hold you it's got to grab, use some type that has hooking power in the type bottom lake your on.

11. MMloy

MMloy New Member

State:
    NC
    You mite want to try Denver Iron thy make and sell anchors and are near by you i think

12. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    25 ft toon. Use Minn Kota Deckhand 40 with 30 lb river anchor off the front. Works pretty well with lot of rope out. Will not hold above about 15 knots wind but I go home about then any way. Use small 10 lb mushroom on rope off back to slow up sway. I fish Lake Moutlrie in SC most of the time.
    Hope that helps.

13. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro