ponds

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by shawn white, Dec 30, 2007.

1. shawn white

shawn white New Member

State:
    nc
    any 1 fish ponds in the winter

2. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have fished them some. I lived on a 100 acre lake/pond for 8 years and fished it regularly.

3. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    I guess if there is no ice over them it would be ok. Other wise they would be fine. Fishing probably is slow since their metabolisism slowed down. I used to live in MO and fished ponds there and didnt catch as many then as I did in the summer. Just dont walk out on them when there is ice. Might be a weak spot and end up swimming instead of fishing.

4. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Forgot to say Welcome to the BOC. Great site for your fishing needs.:big_smile::0a18::0a20:

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    you should have good luck fishing the dam side of the pond in the winter time. If there's catfish in the pond they should be stacked in the deepest water which is usually the dam side. I would use bream heads or even livers and they should be all over it.

6. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    I fish a small pond in Paris TX that my family owns and has stocked catfish in.
    One thing i noticed is they will still bite, but like Aaron said, you have to fish as deep as the pond will allow.
    And your strike zone will be much smaller, so its good to use a bobber, and let it float around some. Or if you are bottom fishing, move your bait around often.
    In other words you have to bring the bait to them.

Good Luck

7. shawn white

shawn white New Member

State:
    nc
    thanks for the help im gond to try to go tommorrow

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Most times during the winter this indeed the case.

Keep an eye on the weather...and go out during a warming trend...even if it only lasts for a couple of days.

It is an opportune moment to catch a few hungry channel as they temorarily move shallow seeking out a "midnight" snack during their normal cold water "hibernation" pattern...before they head back to deeper holes.

Fish partially exposed wood cover during this time...due to its known propensity to retain heat from the sunlight...and raises the water temps immediately surrounding it.

This subtle difference is enough to attract baitfish...and as we all know...the predators will eventually show up and eat them.

The strike zone is still smaller than it is compared to warmer water...but it's still a winning proposition.

This the one or two times a guy doesnt have to actively search for winter channel cats in cold water. (The other being a warm water discharge)

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    One other thing, the darker the bottom the more heat it will retain from sunlight. So durring a 3 to 5 day spell of that stable weather and a little sunshine, warmer water will draw bait, wich will draw predator fish, So if you have a choice of fishing near light or dark colored bottom... Also like stated above move you bait and locations around often. If you don't get a hit in twenty minutes there are no hungry cats close by. Keep moving till you find them.

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I found that fishing was best the last hour of light while pond fishing for channels in winter. Caught most in lower half of the pond either on main pond points or half way back in creek arms. Bait with fresh cut fish or liver, Good luck.

11. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Can't say I have fished many ponds in the winter, usually stick to the river. Good luck though!:wink:

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    My limited experience says its tough to fish ponds during winter for cats