ponds

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Jamesriver, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    I've been looking for a pond to fish channel cats around my house. I have found several, and I have questions about 2 of them. First is about 4 acres, and is(at least where I have seen) between "6 and '3 feet deep, and there are card everywhere, you can't throw a rock in the water without spooking 20 of them. Could it hold cats? Or is it to shallow and packed with carp? And secondly, I found a pond, where there is an earthen dam, but the water flows in to a massive culvert and under the dam, where would the deep hole be here? It is maybe a half an acre.

2. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Sounds to me like you have a great place just for some fun fishing. Read up on carp fishing and go to the carp pond and have a blast.

It's hard to say where your deep water would be on the other pond w/o seeing it. Around here most ponds that have a high bank or dam are deeper next to the high bank or dam.

Get you some bait and try it out. The worst thing that can happen is that you have a relaxing day sitting on the pond bank.

3. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well I would definately spend some time at the Carp pond, they put up a good fight, there may be plenty of bullheads or even some channels in there as well, just remeber that cats don't ALWAYS spend thier time in deep water, they will feed on the roe where the carp spawn. If you want to find the depth & slopes take a tape measure with you then put a bobber stop & slipp bobber on & just tie on a 1-2oz weight or as much to sink the bobber, toss it out where you want to get a depth, & keep adjusting the bobber stop till the bobber don't sink & get your depth. The only thing your gonna loose by fishing for cats in both ponds is a bit of bait, but at least you will be out fishing. Channel cats will hang on slopes inbetween deeper water & shallows where there is food, they often feed in shallow water, I have caught em in as little as 18" of water along the bank of irrication ponds next to the river here. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    Oh, and there is one other pond. It is a drainage pond that has been sized-up by beavers. And I was there one day and found a live bullhead flopping on the bank. Anyhow, I have caught a bass and seen a few bream, it appears to be very shallow, but I am not sure of that, could it be good?

5. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well all I have left to say is a bad of fishin is better than a good day of work. To quote Nike...."Just Do It"

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sounds like a great pond.