Pond v Lake....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by germanmudfish, Jul 25, 2008.

1. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    What is the difference between a pond and a lake? If it is size, at what point does a pond become a lake?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good question. I'm gonna go with 5 acres is the cut off for being a pond., but idunno.

Hmmm. Just checked Wiki, and they kinda agree with me, but it's still not definite.

A pond is a body of water smaller than a lake, both being examples of terrain features. Although the term pond is universally used to describe waterbodies that are smaller than lakes, an internationally recognised size cutoff has not yet been agreed, with values ranging from 2 hectares (20,000 m2) to 8 hectares (80,000 m2) used to distinguish the smaller from the larger waterbody.
    In the United Kingdom, where the charity Pond Conservation [1] has made some of the most extensive studies of ponds, the now widely adopted definition of a pond is 'A man-made or natural waterbody which is between 1m2 and 2 hectares (~5 acres or 20,000 m²) in area, which holds water for four months of the year or more'.[1]

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    That's from another source, and they say bout the same thing.

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Becomes a lake when the GOV takes over. LOL.
    Fees added.
    Or maybe when you can tube behind a boat. I remeber doing tha on old tractor tire tubes..

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    a pond is a place ya sneek into. a lake is open to the public.:cool2:

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    A pond can easily be swam across, a lake is much harder. That is if you can swim.