Pond Trout!

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by elphaba7, Oct 15, 2005.

1. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Well, took the twins trout fishing today, and this is what they caught! 14 inches, 1.5 pounds (I think). They were sharing a pole, and one netted while the other reeled him in! Nice job, Eli and Ethan!

Attached Files:

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    And one more silly one...

Attached Files:

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Looks like fun, it is always good o see kids out fishing.

-brian

4. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    elphaba, what kind of trout are those ? By their shape they look like rainbows. I've caught lots of different trout but never any that color. They are gorgeous. Schoe

5. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    We're 99% sure it is a Golden Trout, some other guys ID'ed it as such, and once we consulted the DNR, it validated it. It has the orange bar down its side, but it wasn't as distinct as it is in this drawing.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Fishing/sport_fish_image.asp?species=golden_trout.jpg

I also searched Google images, and this was the only one that looked like the same kind of fish. :confused:

http://www.boshoektrout.co.za/images/golden_trout.jpg

There were several others listed as such, but they look nothing like what we caught today, so I'll go with the WVDNR.

6. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Tim, I couldn't access the pics from the old site, since I was never a member there. :sad:

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Aha! Once I actually read the text offered for WVDNR Golden Trout, it states it is a hybrid of a rainbow trout... it is not a "true" Golden Trout, as those are only found in California. ;)

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Fishing/sport_fish.asp

BTW, it was caught on a peice of crawler, in about 2 feet of water. :)

8. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    :blink: Now those are some bigguns! :thumbsup:

9. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Thanks for the info. We have a pond right in the middle of town in Moline Ill. that the Ill. DNR stocked a thousand Rainbows in last week and it officially opened yesterday. I love fried trout and fried potatos and onions for breakfast so I better go in the morning and see if I cant get a couple for breakfast. Will post pictures if succesful. Schoe

10. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Good luck, can't wait to see those pics! I was thinking myself about going back out tomorrow morning... :)

11. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yes you guys are correct that would be considered a golden trout but more commonly know as a palimino trout. yes they are a hybrid of rainbows but are not related to the the golden trout of california, they tend to be very shy and smarter than the average trout. one reason they are shy is because people can easily see them in small streams and always spook them by casting to close or on top of them. i have only caught on of these rare fish myself. so tell the little ones great job.

12. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Those sure are some nice looking fish. I bet they'd look better in the frying pan.

13. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Santa Ana river lakes calls them lightning trout. Thats where Brian caught those two trout. Meat is pink. I think it much tastier than regular trout. These trout are hatcherie raised by Mnt Lassen hatcheries. I have seen them as big as fifteen pounds!

Jaime

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    what it actually looks like to me is the ones that are in the trout pond at the midatlantic fishing show in timonium each january ... albino rainbows is what they really are... idk different places call them

15. crazychuy

crazychuy New Member

State:
    Southern California
    If you're looking to catch some more "Lightning Trout". I've always have the best luck fishing Nightcrawlers.

Fish it on a sliding sinker rig and a 12-18" leader. The trick is to inflate the crawler with a worm blower.

Once again, if you use scent you have a better chance of catching a "Big Un'".

CHUY

16. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hey Chuy whats up bro. I was thinking of instead of injecting the nightcrawler with air how about injecting it with Crave garlic gravy. I wonder if it would float.

Jaime