pond stocking rate????

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by kycatman84, Aug 13, 2009.

1. kycatman84

kycatman84 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am getting ready to stock a 1 acre pond and I was gong to start off with state provided fish but there stocking rates seem pretty low at 400 fingerling bluegill per acre, 50 fingerling channel catfish per acre, 120 largemouth bass per acre. expecally the channel cat at 50 per acre.. would it be safe to stock more like 500 cats per acre (including hybrids if i can find them) if i suplament there food with fish pelets? I was also wanting to buy a few hundred georgia giants in there. the pond is about 20ft deep if that matters. I wouldent care to add more bass to control the brem population if i needed to. or maybe a flathead or 2... what do yall think?

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you should be ok to add more if you want. they go by a calculation in /of the groth rate of the fish if you end up with close to that many in full grown fish then you need to be more concerned about airration more than food sorce. if your pond in in a field area were it gets alot of wind to move the water then you will be fine because that is the main way the water oxygenates its self. but in the long run fish eat fish so best if you end up over populated toss in a big lod flat head and he'll help you keep the fish ratio in check.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Missouri stocks 500 blue gill, 100 channels, and 100 bass per ecre.

4. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    too many of a specific gamefish will equal a lot of fish that wont get very big ive seen it with bass in unmanaged ponds all my life too many bass no big ones i figure the same will go with catfish if you overstock

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would always confer with the county extension department.
    If you have a university or college that has an ag department they are also a good source for information.
    Your stockings shouldn't be all at the same time. Every kind of stocking we have ever done is a staggered stocking.

To effectively manage ponds and to build that trophy enviroment you really have to work it. Alot of fish are going to have to be removed every year of all species.
    This is why that typically the best years a pond will see is around 3-5 years.
    Beyond those years is where lack of management causes the pond to stand on it's head population wise and competition for food wise.

Above all. Don't stock crappie. Worst thing you could do to a pond.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You're gonna wanna go with what they said. That's exactly the way you're supposed to stock a pond. I would get the bluegills in there atleast in the spring and stock the bass and cats in the fall if not let the bluegills have from spring to spring before stocking the bass and cats. You certainly don't want to put the amount of fish you're talking about in a 1 acre pond. That would almost certainly lead to disaster and you don't want to spend all that money on fish just to have them die on ya. Listen to those stocking recommendations b/c they are right on. I did pond stocking for a couple years and that's the rate we went with, but we did stock only about 50-100 bass per acre.

The cats are best as a stock and remove(eat) fishery. Also, you'll want after the first year of all the fish in the pond together to take about 5-10lbs of bass out a year and about twice the amount of bluegills per year. Keeps them from getting stunted and also gives the fish a faster growth rate.

PS-I wouldn't under any circumstances put any hybrid bream in there, they will eventually breed back down to green sunfish and you'll have a pond full of little green weenies and nobody wants that:wink:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Here we stock the cata and gills in the spring. That fall is when the bass go in. All fingerlings.