pond stocking help

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by River_monster91, Mar 12, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    my friend has a pond that used to have a few channel cats in it. however in the dry season it dried up and the fish died. his dad dug it out a little deeper to help hold more water. in the deepest part its about 6.5 foot deep. i was plannin on stocking it with gills, channel cat, and some flatties. any idea on what would help keep the fish in there big and healty? the pond has no fish in it right now and has frogs swarming all over the place. we were going to throw any catfish (flatties and channels) over 10lb in the pond this summer. also planned to put the gills in there so they would have something to eat. should i stock it with bullhead or bass too? any help would be apreciated. thanks

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Here in Mo. the MDC requires at least an 8' depth before they will stock. I've had a couple stocked. I'd be surprised if they do good in a pond with no deeper water.

3. AlwaysFishin

AlwaysFishin New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I would say an 8 foot minimum. I fish 2 pay pond locations a lot and the better one is actually the shallower one. It has average depth of about 8 feet with some spots down to 12 feet. The key is that they also have aireators in these ponds to provide the much needed oxygen the fish will require during the hot summer days.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your wanting a fishing pond, channels and bream sound all right. You gotta remember, flatheads are like sharks - a swimming eating machine. You can probably have one or the other, but you put flatties in there, your gonnal lose some fish. LOL

5. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    MDC stocks 100 channels, and 500 bluegill in the fall. Next spring they stock 100 bass. All these fish are minnows. This is per acre.

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i was just planning on stocking it with fish from the creek down the road from his house. if the pond floods, it runs into the creek.

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    if i was you i would just put channel, bluegills and some bass. the flats would proably eat ever thing else if the even lived. 6 foot or so does not really sound deep enough to me.{i could be wrong} don't forget about crapie also. i put a couple flats in a pound that was over run with shell crackers{ thats what i call them} about a 2 acre pound. within about 2 years you could not hardly catch one and you use to be able to go down there and catch buckets full of them:eek:oooh:

8. texasaggie23

texasaggie23 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have two ponds, one with catfish, bass, crappie, sunfish, and carp, and one with crappie, green sunfish, and bass. They are both about an acre in size; the pond with cats is about 12 feet deep in the deepest spot and the other may be seven. The deeper pond has flats, blues and channels, and some of the flats are around 50 pounds. It sustains life year round with no trouble, and we still catch plenty of crappie and bass. I think that crappie are why the flats have not eaten all the other fish, there are large numbers of them and there continue to be more each year. I think the pond will sustain these kind of fish provided that the population of baitfishes is great enough when you stock it

9. strutncut68

strutncut68 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    channel cats and bluegill go great together, but i messed mine up with bass by not keeping them when i caught them and throwing them back. now i have huge bream and a ton of bass that won't get over 2 pounds.

10. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Five pounds of fathead minnows i year before stocking would be a good start.

11. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Hey, Donnie. Six and a half foot pond is just fine. I used to fish my Uncle's pond which is about that depth when I was a kid. It produced my biggest channel cat of of twelve or thirteen pounds, too. Wasn't any bigger than an acre. And I'd bet money it was only 3/4. I've also caught five pound bass out of there and a three pound crappie. Everyone reading this is for sure going to think I'm full of it now, but good scales don't lie. Or tape measures for that matter. Anyway, the good for sure way to go with keeping a pond full of fat fish is to relate to the food chain. Minnows is probably the best food source for a pond in my personal opinion. Because little fish can eat them a lot easier than a bull frog or crawdad. As for stocking the pond, I'd stay clear of the flathead and bullhead. Like said before, flathead eat any living thing that fits in their mouth. And bullhead can just plumb take over a place without REALLY big fish to thin them out. Bluegill, crappie, bass and channelcats is usually the best way to go. If the pond's barren, sink some trees in it to provide some cover. And clean out all the turtles you come across until the pond's flourishing. Hope this answers your question good enough. Take care, bud.

-Red

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep, crappie is the answer if you want to stock big cats and still maintain a good supply of bass, gills etc. Works perfectly for me.

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    channel catfish for sure safe bet also stock it with bluegill maybe green shiners for a forage fish depth around 8 foot deep

14. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Donnie .... here is some info that is pretty well accepted throughout the Midwest ....

The initial stocking ratio widely successful in Indiana consists of five bluegill fingerlings to one largemouth bass fingerling, not to exceed 1,000 bluegill and 200 bass per acre. For a low fertility pond, it is advisable to maintain the 5:1 ratio but reduce the number stocked to 500 bluegill and 100 bass per acre. The desirable stocking size for bluegill is one to two inches and three to four inches for bass. Four to six inch channel catfish should be stocked at a rate of 100 fish per acre.

Properly managed, the initial stocking of bass and bluegill is the only stocking you should ever have to make. However, regular restockings of channel catfish are usually necessary. This species requires a darkened enclosure such as a hollow log or undercut bank in which to spawn. Since this type of habitat is lacking in most ponds, channel catfish seldom reproduce. By placing milk cans, sections of large diameter field tile or culvert in the pond at depths of three to four feet, catfish can be induced to spawn. However, small catfish are a preferred food item for bass so even this will not guarantee more catfish. In most cases, it is necessary to add catfish from time to time. These should be at least six and preferably eight inches or longer so they're not simply a free meal for your bass. Depending on how fast you remove the initial stocking, a second stocking of catfish should not be needed for two or three years.

One important element that is mentioned is whether the pond is fertilized properly .... I would ask if there are cattle in the field that would be drinking from and around the pond. If so it will be fertilized. If you have a very clear pond then it isn't properly fertilized. When I worked for DNR we had disc that was painted white, and 6 inches in diameter on a 3 ft rod. We lowered it into the water and if it disappeared at the depth of 1 foot the pond was okay. If not fertilizer was recommended. Usually these were farm ponds ... so we told the owners to take fertilizer from the barn ... spread it along the upper end of the pond at the water line. The nutrients would then leach into the water and fertilize it.

I wouldn't recommend stocking Flatheads in a pond as shallow as you mentioned .... but would the channels and include the field tiles as indicated for possible reproduction sites for them. Good Luck ..... Garry-

15. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    wat paylakeu fishing

16. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    They do this in all lakes? What exactly are u refering too?

17. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Private ponds and fish per acre.