Pond Raised Skipjack

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by o'boro cat hunter, Jan 17, 2010.

1. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Is this possible?????Any info would be great.

2. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    My guess is that you'd need good water flow, and relatively cooler water.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Skipjack run upstream to spawn from the Gulf of Mexico so I think they would be considered a brackish water fish. People talk about how hard they are to keep as live bait- not sure how successful you could be at raising them.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You would probably need a pond the size of Barkley or Kentucky lake...W

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i raise Shrimp in ponds so i wouldnt say its impposible. however i have never heard anyone doing it. any fish can be kept in a culture. thats what hacheries are for. its all about the science, conditions, and equipment.

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I think that skipjacks are continuously looking for a place to die. I think that a pond would really help their cause

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
  8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i think it could be done, but i think you would need something more like a hatchery, where you can rush water from one side and recycle it back causing a stream like effect. i think that it would be fairly expensive at first to get it going. if you just added them to a farm pond they would most certainly die. you may get away with it if you could dam up part of a faster flowing stream to keep a continuous current going. however that would take some talking to the DNR to make it possible.

the stream where i catch my bait i have ween both shad and skips in and it is less than 30 feet wide in most places. they just stick to the deep holes and there aren't many, but they are there. if a man could make a way to raise them, he could definitely have a corner on the bait market.

9. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    Thats what I'm saying!!!!!Think about the money a man could make:Money::Money::Money:,if possible.I mean for real.I know afew guys always looking to make MILLIONS,year after year after year.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have thought about it and I have a few ponds / small lakes to stick them in. To many nights on the river spent thinking about it. I have come up with this. I don't think current or water temp has anything to do with how they live. Fish are cold blooded and they are in lakes with no current. The biggest problem I see is food. They are a fish eater so it would take a lot of shad and minnows to keep a lot of them in feed. Ponds are only so fertile and can only hold so many pounds of fish. The other small problem I see would be getting the fingerlings alive to Missouri so I could stock them.

11. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think the food supply would be the least of your worries with these fish. Water quality and balance should be your main concern.

I would say most certainly a pond would not cut it.

I would recomend if your serious getting a 500 gallon tank, 4 fluval fx5 filters, and a really good aerator.
    I think this would be a much more realistic way to do it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  12. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    " Good Question ??? I dunno but heck they ship all kinda seafood with dry ice, and pet stores and such even ship "live" stuff I believe. You know I always wondered why you couldnt "raise em" or keep 'em in a big Aquarium, but I guess they would be hard to keep alive, no running water (current) etc..... Heck a guy could make a killin off guys like us if he started a skipjack farm and vaccume sealed them and shipped them all over the country. " <<<< Quote from me from old skip post.

I been saying that for a while. If I figure out how you find some guys to invest and will do it o'boro cat hunter :handshake: DEAL ??? LOL

13. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
  14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Have you seen the kansas river? It's not really no clear water trout stream. Yet we get a few there every year.

15. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas

I said water quality NOT clarity.:winky: Kansas river has great circulation & aeration. smaller Ponds genrally arent so great. Maybe It will work never know till you try.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    There is a lot more to quality of water then just moving water.

17. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Heck with Skip Jack, lets talk about your avatar. What were you using for bait ??? :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

18. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky