pond price !

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by head hunter, Nov 13, 2009.

1. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    gotta price today for a crue to come in and dig a pond ,,three grand ,, not even a 1/2 acre ,,and he couldn't guarantee it not to leak. I'LL GO RENT A BACK HOE OR SOMETHING. What do you guys think of the price ??

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
  2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Sounds to me you need to find somebody that need fill dirt an let them dig it for the dirt

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That doesnt seen out of line,He cant guarentee it not leaking ,Because he cant know what type of soil you may have at the depth you want the pond to be. If you have no knoweledge as to building a pond yourself ,Sure you can build one . .....But will it hold water when it gets full? ,will it overflow to the proper place itneeds to, to prevent erosion of the dam and other property?Lots more to it than JUST DIGGIN a hole in the ground.:wink:

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    If you build the dam right it will leak or wash out. rich is right , lot more to it than digging a hole

5. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Go to your local County Extention Agents office. They have all the info on ponds and pond management you could ever need. They use to and probably still do come out to your place and give advice.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You just need clay and a sheepfooted viberpack rollerfor a big dam,, A small one could be pressed down by rolling over it , on a repeative basis as you go with the backhoe.

We built lakes on golf courses,small and large, 1/2-20acres or so and as we were digging it , we would push all the clay over to one side. As we were going the dam ws being built, and the clay and dirt mixture was pushed across the dam and viberpacked it down a couple times after each 1' layer layed until we had the desired height/depth and added the culvert drainoff with finns, and continued on until the lake was complete. Also as we went we would viberpak the bottom, adding clay as we went to insure no leaks.

We never had to go back and work on none of them, so their still holding as far as I know.

If the soil didn't have enough clay, we would order it in:wink:

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Flamekeepers done it before, and 223 is right..... there's way more to it than just digging a hole in the ground.
    3k sounds way too cheap even for a half acre hole in the ground that won't hold water. My guess is that the guy does driveways and septic tanks and knows nothing about building a pond. If you want something nice, you'll just have to find the right people and come-up off some cash... thats all there is to it. Know exactly what you want, get bids from reputable excavators and draw up a very detailed contract.

8. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    A friend of mine wanted a couple acre pond on his property. He had a low area that was always marshy because a creek ran through it. It had a natural funnel shaped end to it. He hired a guy to come in with a big track hoe and pile up a dam on it. It started filling up and looked like it was going to work. But even when the guy walked his track hoe back and forth over the dirt piled dam it still leaked. The ground he had picked was rotten with sediment. I think he spend about 4 thousand on it and it never held water.
    He was trying to save money and it cost him more in the long run. He was advised that it needed to be lined with clay and compacted first. A step the man with the track hoe did not do.
    Your ground may not be like his but you need to get some advice from someone that knows. Not just someone wanting to rent you equipment or sell you something. Talk to your local county agent.

9. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i know here there are alot of codes to go by. like elevation type of soil etc. you have to go through county extensive office to get it approved! if you try to do without they can fine you and make you fill it at your cost!

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sounds cheap to me.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Randy !! As has been posted, there is more to it than just digging a hole in the ground. Do a search on line for pond building. Become somewhat familiar with what it takes to build a successful pond before signing any contracts or starting to build or hire a builder. The county extension office can help you with soil tests and advise on reputable firms to build ponds. Clay is on of the main things you need to build a successful pond. If there is a stream flowing through the area you want the pond, you have to make sure the old stream bed is clear of gravel and sediment then packed with clay. The sediment and gravel will let water leak through under the dam if it isn't cleared before the damming process begins.

12. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    contractor here wanted 5grand per pond and i needed 4 dug. shoot bro, you can rent a backhoe for six hundred a week. find you an opperator and get after it.

13. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    oh yeah i forgot soils, they gotta be able to retain water. first thangs first.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yea, I know where a nice perty pond was dug on NC210. Nice big pier was built.

Pond never filled up. The contractor that dug the pond wasn't a pond man. He thought it was just digging a hole in the ground.
    He shoulda called the real pond people. The people that were digging ponds with mule drag lines WAY BACK and are still in business.

15. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    might go with a oversized kio pond ( 100 ft by 50 ft ) with a liner for now, maybe I can breed some kio for bait. :smile2::smile2: THANX FOR THE INFO-,,,,

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    3,000 sounds like a good price for a crew, but don't sound like it will be guaranteed to work. Gotta know it won't leak I reckon, no point diggin a hole that don't hold water. You might rent a backhoe and dig the hole yourself, then have someone who does ponds finish it. Maybe save a couple bucks that way

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Department of Natural Resources paid to have mine built. Used a contractor they recommended. $10,000 total at a cost of $1,500 to me. Had water in it 2 days after the dam was closed. This included overflow pipe, emergency spillway and a hydrant below the dam. With the rain we had this year it has stayed full and overflowing most of the summer.
    Department of Conservation gave me 100 channels, 500 bluegill, and 100 bass.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Got one that size in the backyard.
    I've got channels breeding in it.
    I also stocked it with shad minnows. They breed too. I have minnows big enough to cook. That right there is good bait.

19. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Think again Bro.

I was working on a home 3 years ago and the homeowner had the pond store come and build him a kio pond that was only about 16' x 9" x 4'deep with a waterfall complete with aquatic plants for a natural filtering system. 17,000 plus is what he paid for it..I have a picture of it somewhere,,I'll find it and post it for you..Might get some ideas from it.

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I had to sign on with my business acc to get the pic,,But here it is,

I got to looking at it and I stretched out a tape measure to kinda remember just about the size of it and it looks to have been pretty close to what I said above. I installed Alum trim, siding and soffits on the home almost completely by myself, took me 5-6 weeks, it turned out great.

Attached Files: