Pond jumping or Blind

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by willisjj, Oct 27, 2005.

1. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I was going to do a poll here but then couldn't figure out how, lol. Must have been the old site that we could put a poll in here for people to vote on. Anyway, just curious if you prefer "pond jumping" or duck hunting from a blind and calling them in. I enjoy both although I think growing up I did more pond jumping than anything else. Things were different then though and I knew everybody in a 50 mile radius from my house so permission to hunt was easy to get and most places I didn't even have to ask. Things are pretty different nowadays though as I have been gone too long and people have died, moved away, or just had to tighten up on the permission giving due to vandalism and trash on their land. I ain't that good with a call, but I will be hunting with my Dad as soon as I get back to OK and I am sure I will be back up to speed in no time. He now hunts exclusively from a blind and he also raises and trains labs and always has a good dog rearing to go. Anyway, I would like to know how many of yall duck hunt and what your preferences are.

2. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    when I use to duck and goose hunt we did it all in farm fields never touched the water till the end of the season then we would get the boat blind out and go right above the dam we really had alot of luck doing it this way

3. willisjj

willisjj Guest

We used to hit the geese in the fields but as far as the ducks, most of our hunting was done on the farm ponds as they were so abundant.

4. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    there is a small creek next to my house i like to hunt i am the only one there so there are ducks and not much competition mostly reason for stayin away from the river

5. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thanks for the reply Dan. I was beginning to think there were only 2 of us duck hunters on here, lol. It gets harder and harder every year to find someplace to hunt without running into a lot of other hunters. I also prefer the more solitary places, partly for safety reasons and partly for the solitude itself. Thanks for the input.

6. dan 1989

dan 1989 New Member

State:
    oquawka ILL
    went out today and jumped some but came up empty someday ill get them haha i think its more exciting that way but alot of work gettin that close good luck to everyone

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    A huge part of duck and goose hunting for me is fooling the birds with my calls and decoys. I have jumped a few ponds in my life, while it was neat I felt it was just "harvesting" a duck. I enjoy the pre-dawn boat rides, playing the wind, setting up the spread and figuring out what sounds the birds want on that day, I also love watching my Lab's eye's as he scans the horizon for ducks............he's in the game just like me. I'll be getting up at 3:45am tomorrow to do the above :D

8. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    is pond jumping hunting? - just kidding, we've done it too but it is more fun to get up at 3:30 in the morning, take a fast ride in the cold boat, push the boat through waist-deep mud to get to the perfect duck hole, set up the decoy spread and start calling. It is fun to watch the dog scan the skies and get ready to retrieve too!