pond fishing

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by whitney weese, Feb 23, 2008.

1. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    doent any one like to fish in ponds. we need to take to kids of this world to the ponds and get them started.

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    You're absolutely right Whitney!! As a kid, I remember fishing my grandpa's bullhead pond. I dug my own worms in my grandma's garden and headed for the pond. Heck I spent almost the hole day there catching fish with my dad, grandpa and cousins. Lotta good memories from the old days. I will definently get my 2 sons started on the right foot by taking them fishing. Ponds are a great start for kids. Thanks for the post!!:big_smile:lol

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I think pond fishing is the place that most people get started. I know I did ans well alot of people I know. That's where I catch most of my big gills. Caught nice size cats, bass and turtles in ponds also.

4. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    fishing a pond is like shooting a shotgun everyone should do it

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice catfish:big_smile:

7. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    you are so right:wink:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Its not that we don't fish ponds.............it is just normally for bait. Most of us are hooked on catching the monster cats so we tend to look for big water. I am looking forward to taking my daughter to catch some skipjack when I get home from Iraq. Now that's good fishing to get someone hooked.

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I love fishing ponds. For the most part you get the whole place to yourself and no worrying about any idiots out there you dont know about. My pond fishing trips are usually half fishing, half hunting or shooting trips.

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Always fun when you can take a kid fishing and he cathes a fish.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ponds are great to just fish an relax on ,You aint got all the powerboat wakes an jetskiers ,just nice quiet times and good fishing .

12. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Pond fishing isnt just for bait. yes its a good sorse of bait. but if manged right. there is so much more to a pond than bait.it a great place for a kid to get use to fishing and for you to try out new tecniques and baits also. we have two one pond has a bass and crappie and some cats in it. the other has every thing under the sun. it even had a #45 flathead in it i caught some years back. have caught him severl times and my son has hooked into him once. but i dont think he still lives. havent caught him in a few years. but who knows. might hook in to him again. Now back to the pond. there isnt a day go by that my youngest son lets me know he wants to the pond and go fishing. thats where the real joy of the whole deal is. To end its a great training place kids and for your self also. try that new crappie tecnique at the loacal pond and take a kid with you. if you dont have any kids. take a neighbor kid. he will love you for it and the fishing world will be better place for it.

13. gretzky

gretzky New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I took my wife and 3 kids ice fishing on a farm pond today. Not much luck fishing but we all had fun. Close to home ponds help make it possible to spend time with the family without distractions.

14. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i fish ponds, i still love goin to grandpas ole fishin pond and catchin some good eatin cats! mm mm! tasty!

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    thats a good thought taking your daughter fishing.but i would like to thank you for serving your country.god bless and keep you safe

16. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I caught my first fish on my uncles pond. It was a 6 pound channel. Ever since then i was hooked on fishing. I tried many diffrent types like Bass fishing, Panfishing, Crappie, and flyfishing. But catfish is my all time favorite, with fly fishing a distant second.

17. keyskevin

keyskevin New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I think that most of use first got our lines wet in a pond or a park lake.For me it was a little lake in a park in Tacoma,WA and my first fish was a 3lb Channel Cat.That got me interested for life.

18. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I have to agree that a pond, or as I refer to them a tank, are some of the best spots to introduce kids or adults to fishing. When they can catch something it makes it worthwhile to see smiles. I usually make open invitations to my neighbors, if they or the kids want to fish, just stop by. 2 years ago I stocked with channels and have been trying to manage it to keep the fishing good. The photo is from last sunday in about an hours time.

Attached Files:

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My first memories of fishing are from a pond. The whole family would go fishing together. I was a small child of 4 or 5...but I can still remember those times we shared together. I have a small pond and taught my kids to fish in it. The first trip we fished on our pond and both my children caught 10lb channels. Those kind of memories last a lifetime. The pond almost dried up last year due to draught and not many fish survived...but the memories will live on.:big_smile:

20. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I agree with all these posts---I too have great memories fishing from ponds. My grandpa was the one to teach me to fish and we always went to these ponds on an old farm. Great memories. Every time I go fishin' I think about him.