Pond fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stinkbaitjunkie, May 11, 2007.

1. stinkbaitjunkie

stinkbaitjunkie New Member

State:
    North Mississippi
    What is the best rig to use when fishing a pond?

2. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    I have found Cut Blue Gills, Cut Crappie, Shrimp, Punch Baits, Dough Baits All To Work. For The Big Boys I Use Blue Gill Heads Or Whole Blue Gills About 4 Inches Long And Up.

3. d_guerrero1

d_guerrero1 New Member

State:
    Roselle, Illinois
    I use shrimp, dough baits or chicken livers work great:lol:

4. JohnnyRebel

JohnnyRebel New Member

State:
    Missouri
    dough baits or cut shad for me..thats pretty much all I use anywhere..

5. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    What Do You Meen By RIG
    ??????????????????????????? Rod And Reel, Hooks, Leaders, Or Bait?

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Lately, I have been catching alot of catfish on just plain nightcrawlers in farm ponds here lately. I usually make my own bait for ponds. Beef liver, oats, chicken blood, garlic salt, Warstershire sause, and beef blood. The perch heads idea works really well for me durring the summer. Hope this helps.

7. stinkbaitjunkie

stinkbaitjunkie New Member

State:
    North Mississippi
    Well I meant like how your setup is. Line and sinker, etc. sry if I was misunderstood.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    a Carolina rig will work well in a pond, as well a slip bobber rig. if there is a lot of mud on the bottom try a 3 way rig (will keep your bait from sinking into the mud and muck). check out the library for some useful tips and hints. ponds are fun to fish because its not to hard to find the fish, but they dont normally get very big. they can, dont get me wrong, but the old adage is "big fish need big water" which means the fish have more to feed on in big river systems and big lakes. for bait i would try cut bait or chichen livers. I would not use more than 1 oz of weight and 20lbs test line. that should suffice for pond fishing. a 3/0 kahle or octopus hook should work fine as well. also dont forget the bug spray, sketters around ponds can ruin the best day/night of fishing.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nightclawers, Chicken Livers, and Minnows. I would use a slip float rig, or a three way rig.

10. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now for the three way swivel, you attach your main line, then line and the weight on the bottom ring, and then the line, hook and bait on the tail end swivel.... NOW answer me this, wouldnt all the lines get tangled when you throw it AND wouldnt the bait just sink right next to the weight!!!?!?!?! PLEASE I HAVE BEEN WONDERING THIS FOREVER!!!!

11. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    If the pond is relativly small a carolina rig with a night crawler or 2 on a circle hook or two would probably be good. ive never fished a pond for cats though. the only problem with a caroline rig and worms is keeping the bass away!

12. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I prefer a carolina rig and/or a slip bobber rig in ponds. I also like to fish the corners of ponds, especially at night.

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I may be misunderstanding you, but it sounds like your using a regular swivel. Use a 3-way swivel, with 3 rings. Make the line with the weight longer than the line with the bait. When its on the bottom the angle of the line keeps the bait on the shorter line off the bottom. Hope this helps.:big_smile:

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you can also put a samll cigar float on the bait line and keep it off of the bottom that way. it doesnt bother the fish. i would recommend using a shorter line though for your bait leader. you can use a 2 way swivel, juts make sure you tie your main line and your weighted line to the same side. that way your bait line is attached to the open end of the swivel where it can turn and spin with the fish while fighting it and it wont get tangled as bad.

15. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Definately a carolina rig with a 1-2 ounce egg sinker. As far as baits go I use cut/live bluegill and chicken livers. If your doing it in the late evening I make sure that I am positioned at the edge of the deeper part of the pond right where it starts getting into the shallows. They always seem to come up that drop off and feed in the shallower parts

16. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    depends on th pond but most ponds I have fished I prefer a slip float.