Pond fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by IfishFORcatfish, Dec 23, 2006.

1. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    use a bill dance yumm crawfish ( with the yumm act. ) ... best lure i have ever used for catfish

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Hum, I thought that was a bass lure?

3. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    lol it is. . . but trust me it works

4. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think it is werid.

6. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    dang that is weird, what do you do with it? do you use it like a bass lure? or just let it sit there?

7. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    its true this is a bass lure but and i have caught tons of bass with them no catfish though but im sure its possible.

8. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    I have never caught catfish on a bass lure, hoever I guess it is possible, but I wouldn't reccomend it, just cause I think the chances of catching acat on them are almost a waste of time, although if you are a very patient fisher then I would reccomened it :big_smile:

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    think its weird?? come on guys people catch these fish with spam and hotdogs. how weird is it when fish bait catches fish?

10. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    That is very out of the ordinary I think. Ive caught kitties on artificials while bass fishing by accident.

Wheelmobile07

11. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've got ahold of a catfish one time I was bass fishing, but I didn't get him in. He was just a little guy, but it still would've been cool. He rolled on the top of the water, and the hook came flying back out.:confused2: I was using a black and purple powerbait worm, so if anybody wants to try artificials, then there's my input. But I've used plastic worms all my life and only done it once. I've heard of cats getting caught on artificials quite a bit though. So, goodluck to anybody willing to give it a try.

-Red

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Im also a pretty firm believer that you MAY catch a cat on a bass lure, but there are certainly better ways to do it.

In my 15-18 years of catfishing with some fishing of other species, ive only cuaght 3 catfish on lures.

2 channels I caught on the same day on a rooster tail I was slow trolling a few feet under the surface for crappie/small black bass. Caught 2 channel cats that were about 8-10 inches. And last year while throwing a spoon in the middle of a sandbass school, I caught a 14 inch bluecat.

My brother on the other hand caught a nice flathead on a plastic worm once. 9#'s if I remember correctly.

Now if you figure the odds, id say my catch ratio of bass to catfish on a lure would be well over 1000:1.

13. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gotta remember, both spam and hotdogs are made from meat. Catfish eat meat. These also smell and can be oily. Catfish can be caught on soap as well..and some soaps are still made using animal fats which might be why its possible.

14. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    My catfish that got me hooked to this site was caught bass fishing.....a 13 pound channel cat while throwing a 1/4 oz. chartruse spinner from a Zebco 33!!:smile2:

15. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea, while I fishing for bass, I was fishing in almost dark last summer. I caught two bullhead on salmo perch lure. I know that sound weird to me...

16. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    Channel cats are very agressive fish ... behavior I've seen in ones i've had in fish tanks .... I had a bullhead in a tank with an Oscar and they ate live goldfish .... I've bass fished all my life and never have caught a cat on a bass lure but one night my Dad caught a Channel on a black spinnerbait .... guess the vibration was the trigger ... it doesn't susprise me more aren't caught on bottom baits where they roam ...worms, grubs and even spoons .... rare but happens

17. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    a friend caught a 35 flat on a shad rap while fishing for walleye had to get help landing him from another boat

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have seen channels caught on all sorts of lures:
    Rooster tails (I even use them to target cats in one pond here on base)
    fly fishing poppers
    plastic worms
    Zara Super Spook
    Crappie jig
    Spoons

There are better ways to fish for them though. From what I have seen you have to pass a lure right in front of the cat for it to take it.

19. kccatman76

kccatman76 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i use the yum craw with a jig and have caught several real nice cat in ponds and in lakes

20. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    OK well heres the kicker if you happened to be in an area where there is a large concentration of catfish that must stay in a couple of spots like in a pond you could pass a lure right in front of them and if they see that it looks like a crawfish theyd probably take it, but catfish rely mostly on taste and smell because there entire body is lined with taste buds so the best way to catfish is with something that produces a lot of smell becasue they will come to the bait.